Rules regarding bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rules regarding bases

Hello there fellow modellers!
    I bought a Captain Shrike the other day, and i (like everybody else with him) noticed that he is insanely top heavy, and he has pretty much no contact with the ground.
    So here's my question:
    Is it legal for tournaments and games to have him on his standard 25mm base but having that base fixed on top of a 40mm base (to give him support to stand up)?? Obviously, in range measurements etc id be measuring from the 25mm base which ultimately makes the 40mm a piece of scenery.

I really need to know so i can go ahead with my plan or try a new approach. If it is not allowed and you have a suggestion on fixing him there, please tell me.

Thanks guys,
    Mickem

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The general consensus is that you should use the original base that came with the figure. But I don't think people will really complain if you put your HQ on a 40mm base instead of 25mm. From a modeling perspective, a lot of people do this to make their IC's stand out. However, to put your carnifex or dreadnought (normally on 60mm) on a 40mm would probably not go down well with others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok thanks mate. Yeah i figure it wouldnt be a problem for me after all the 25mm is ontop of the 40mm so as i said before, its just terrain that moves with me.

Thanks again,
    Mickem

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickem View Post
    Hello there fellow modellers!
    I bought a Captain Shrike the other day, and i (like everybody else with him) noticed that he is insanely top heavy, and he has pretty much no contact with the ground.
    So here's my question:
    Is it legal for tournaments and games to have him on his standard 25mm base but having that base fixed on top of a 40mm base (to give him support to stand up)?? Obviously, in range measurements etc id be measuring from the 25mm base which ultimately makes the 40mm a piece of scenery.

I really need to know so i can go ahead with my plan or try a new approach. If it is not allowed and you have a suggestion on fixing him there, please tell me.

Thanks guys,
    Mickem

Ok, here you have a supplied base but a physical problem with it so you want to use what is supplied in conjunction with another larger base under that.

I can't see a problem here as long as you measure from the original but there is another solution here.

Simply glue a heavy metal washer the same diameter underneath your original base, this will considerably lower the centre of gravity of the model and not raise an eyelid in tournaments.

I have done this to all my metal models so far and none of them feel as though they are about to topple over plus they feel much more substantial to play with.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with using a washer under the bases - that way you don't give the type of wargamer that's a pain in the arse an excuse to bitch about it

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

This mini has a washer in her base and I don't have problems with her falling over on the table. Not as beefy as Shrike, but same kind of idea.

Purple Marine Tutorial :: IMG_1783.jpg picture by InquisitorAffe - Photobucket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [Angels]Bard View Post
    I agree with using a washer under the bases - that way you don't give the type of wargamer that's a pain in the arse an excuse to bitch about it

you know sometimes its good to hear that kinda crap from them early...that way you dont have to waste 3 turns before you walk away
    For Michigan Apoc news and meetups.. www.mi40k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Every tourney I've played in (and yes, even since 5th edition), it's always been fine to pout your model on a base larger than provided, but not smaller.
    But within reason
    no putting normal marines on a 60mm base :-P
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Nhyx View Post
    Every tourney I've played in (and yes, even since 5th edition), it's always been fine to pout your model on a base larger than provided, but not smaller.
    But within reason
    no putting normal marines on a 60mm base :-P

This seems common, I see alot of people do it. I think the "within reason" thing is like, ONE base size up from that provided, and that should be enough.

Though, I think if you had units upon units of guys go from 25 to 40 they might say something, but with just a guy or two no one usually minds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

shouldn't be a problem, but as other people have said, weighting the base is also effective (I've stuck a penny on the recess under some of my bases and that makes them stand up, although i think that counts as defacing the queens coinage and is strictly speaking illegal )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast