Scatter and kill models in combat with friendly units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scatter and kill models in combat with friendly units

I have a question that arose in our game today.

I was playing a Daemons army and this is what happened?

I had two soulgrinders.

1 Soulgrinder was tied up in combat.

during my shooting phase the other soulgrinder fired phlegm which scattered back and hit my soulgrinder and its combatant. My soulgrinder was not affected but the model he was in combat with died thereby freeing up the soulgrinder.

Can the newly free soulgrinder shoot or fleet in that shooting phase?
    Can it then assault someone else in the assault phaase?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

thats actually a good question. I would say, yes?

Not sure on that, but i think that the soul grinder wouldn't be like "oh, its a lil rude to just go shooting people after being in CC with there buddies, ill stand here n get shot"

I would hope people wouldn't TRY to do that a whole lot, but if your high priority target is who was trying to get shot, and the other fools just got unlucky, then i see no problem with the 2nd Soul Grinder goin at it with someone else.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

I think that P.40 BRB second paragraph of the right column might hold the answer to this one.

The 2nd Soulgrinder was locked in CC at the start of your turn, but was subsequently 'un-locked' by the scattering phlegm shot. It can't make a D6" sweeping advance move because this unlocking did not occur as a result of combat in the Assault phase, but I don't believe that it is in any other way restricted in what it can do i.e. shoot/run/assault, since it has been rendered a free agent.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    I think that P.40 BRB second paragraph of the right column might hold the answer to this one.

The 2nd Soulgrinder was locked in CC at the start of your turn, but was subsequently 'un-locked' by the scattering phlegm shot. It can't make a D6" sweeping advance move because this unlocking did not occur as a result of combat in the Assault phase, but I don't believe that it is in any other way restricted in what it can do i.e. shoot/run/assault, since it has been rendered a free agent.

E.
    I'd go with this. I can't see anything unfair in allowing a unit that's not locked in combat (which the Soul Grinder isn't) to act normally, however barring it from doing so just because it was locked in combat at the start of the phase seems a bit dodgy to me.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Almost the exact same scenario was brought up in another similar thread http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...s-into-cc.html (When a blast scatters into CC...)

Although it was kinda split, I believe the majority of the people therer decided yes, they can shoot/assault as they are no longer "locked" in combat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

This is something of an amusing scenario, I wonder how often it pops up?

I'd go with what everyone's saying, it's not restricted in what it can do from then on because it is no longer locked in combat.

DiW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon in White View Post
    This is something of an amusing scenario, I wonder how often it pops up?

I'd go with what everyone's saying, it's not restricted in what it can do from then on because it is no longer locked in combat.

DiW
    More than you think, I play teams alot because of lack of space, and when allied to an IG player he freed up my Defiler to shoot some more Tau in the face. Hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses. As it happens we rolled a D6 to decide the outcome and i was unlucky so the soulgrinder was rendered useless having just been spat on by his mate he decided to chill for the rest of the turn and remove the warp phlegm from his face.

Not too huge an issue because I won but I think that perhaps he should have been allowed to assaulr in the assault phase but since he was already locked in the shooting phase he would have been unable to respond to the sudden unlocking...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

I'd agree with your idea above- can't shoot as he was inelegible to do so at the start of the phase, but may assault as normal.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtificiallyEnhanced View Post
    I'd agree with your idea above- can't shoot as he was inelegible to do so at the start of the phase, but may assault as normal.
    Maybe not. Here's something to think about: Does the book tell you to check for "shooting eligibility" at the start of the Shooting Phase?

We know that the book says a unit may not shoot if it is combat, but does it specifically say "at the start of the phase"? (No book on hand... I'll check later.)
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread