Rapid Fire, rule history question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Rapid Fire, rule history question

My friend and I have been playing for awhile. And after looking up some other rules, regarding the basics of the game. I noticed the weapon type Rapid Fire, is slightly different than I remember.

I was under the impression that Rapid Fire weapons could fire twice upto 1/2 their maximum distance. Rereading the rules, they can actually fire twice at 12" regardless of their maximum range. For me (SM player) this makes those veterans slightly more dangerous.

I just reviewed my 4th edition rules, and it has the 12" rule also, was there a time when the Rapid Fire rule worked at 1/2 the maximum range? I can't for the life of me figure out where we got this rule from and that we've been using it so long, incorrectly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Even though I started 40k during 4th, I don't think there's anything wrong with your thinking. Max range has always been 24" for rapid fire boltguns. So firing twice at half distance would be 2 shots at 12". The only thing is if you move, you can't fire 24". So your thinking was right. Just your application was slightly wrong (assuming you've been moving and firing twice only up to 6").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

same in 3rd edition my friend (actually then you only got two shots in 12" if you didn't move and 1 if you did). This is a common assumption really. The vast majority of rapid fire weapons in the game have a 24" range so people assume that its half range as opposed to simply being 12" across the board. There are only a few cases where rapid fire weapons aren't 24", most notably the Tau Pulse Rifles, Sternguard Vengence Ammo and now the IG Stormtroopers hot-shot lasguns are joining the mix.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x3)

The change occurs when the maximum for the rapid fire weapon is only 18". We were still playing only 2 shots at 9" inches. And this is where we accidentally handicapped those stormtroopers, with the hot shot lasguns.

And the Sternguard ammo, thats another placed we shot ourselves in the foot (pardon the pun).
    Last edited by Xpyre35; May 27th, 2009 at 17:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I started playing back when Pistols were weird, and as far as I can remember it's always been 1 shot at max range if you stand still and 2 at half range if you move. I'm not entirely sure if that was 3rd or 4th Edition though...

EDIT: Apparently the rules are different now, though; it's 1 shot at max range if you stand still and 2 shots at up to 12", regardless of the weapon's max range, if you don't. Which seems silly, because it knobbles Pulse Rifles by a full 3 inches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x2)

Frank I think you typed that wrong. It's 1 shot at max range for a pistol if you move, 2 if you stand still.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Sorry, Gorfang: a pistol is now effectively Assault 1 (P.29 BRB under "Pistol Weapons"), so it will only get a single shot regardless of what the bearer is doing unless otherwise specified by the relevant codex.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    I started playing back when Pistols were weird, and as far as I can remember it's always been 1 shot at max range if you stand still and 2 at half range if you move. I'm not entirely sure if that was 3rd or 4th Edition though...

EDIT: Apparently the rules are different now, though; it's 1 shot at max range if you stand still and 2 shots at up to 12", regardless of the weapon's max range, if you don't. Which seems silly, because it knobbles Pulse Rifles by a full 3 inches.
    Ahhh Nostalgia *digs up 3rd and 4th rulebooks*

Nope, never been half range, 3rd, 4th and 5th are all 12" for rapid fire. how exactly does this nobble pulse rifles (nobble?), still the longest range basic infantry weapon in the game and has the same rapid fire range as any other gun.

Of course in the good 'ol days you could double tap with pistols too, but now they're just assault 1.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Way back in the day (and I mean way back) when only space marines had Rapid Fire, they could rotate up to 45 degrees and shoot twice instead of just the once. But this was when the way infantry were facing mattered and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x3)

Yeah, the whole facing thing, and half distance, all that crap is from the old rogue trader/spacehulk/soft cover magazine rulebooks rules

If you really wanna have a trip down memory lane with those rules, just play a few games of Necromunda. Always have all kinds of flashbacks to the "good ole days, with uglyashell models (what the hell were they thinking with the 'nids?)".
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast