Why was Rending nerfed in 5th? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you think Rending was nerfed between 4th and 5th editions?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genestealers

29 34.94%
  • Space Marine Assault Cannons

36 43.37%
  • Daemonettes of Slaanesh

3 3.61%
  • Other, please explain

15 18.07%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Why was Rending nerfed in 5th?

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but because this was a rule change, I thought I'd post it here.

I was having a little debate with another in the tyranid forum. Now I'm a little new to 40k having started during 4th edition. But I feel the reason why rending was nerfed was due to the genestealers. The other person said it was because of space marine assault cannons - that ever since the assault cannons became rending, everyone was using it because it could rend from long range.

I'd like to get your opinions regarding its origins - basically why was rending nerfed (reduced in power) between 4th edition to 5th?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemonettes + skarbrand.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I think there's no nefarious scheme or simple single cause. Things that are very popular because of their power/cost always get toned down across revisions of a game, that's the whole principal of balancing, no?

Marines did get it worse though. 'stealers ended up buffed overall if you pay the 2pt tax for feeder tendrils.

Daemonettes were most definitely play tested using 5E core rules, and I suspect that play testing for even Eldar and those Harlequins was done with some draft form of 5E. They're certainly not the 'cause' of the change, they were created knowing about it/to work within it.
    One likes to think the design studio is organised enough that holo fields and harlequins were created knowing about the coming changes to skimmers and rending, and not that skimmers and rending were changed in response to a big 'oops' when they released the book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

On that note... Who says that Rending was "nerfed" at all? Just the use of that terminology belies an insistence towards complaint...

Besides, it makes more sense that a wounding effect should take place on the "to wound" roll.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    On that note... Who says that Rending was "nerfed" at all? Just the use of that terminology belies an insistence towards complaint...

Besides, it makes more sense that a wounding effect should take place on the "to wound" roll.
    Then why isn't poison so in fantasy?

Glavas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Glavas View Post
    Then why isn't poison so in fantasy?
    They haven't gotten around to nerfing it yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Rending was "nerfed" because the old rending rules were silly. So the cause is not any of those you listed, but in fact was simply an improvement to the rules.

And before anyone complains about my comments, keep in mind that I play Tyranids with genestealers myself, and I like the new rending rules far more because they are more balanced and make more sense.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

381 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post

Units that have the ability don't do as much damage as they used to but cost the same pts? Seems like correct use of the term to me

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

A unit of 12 genestealers with scything talons = 36 rending attacks (48 on the charge). Now imagine 6 squads of them + 1 retinue and add to that the fact that they hit most enemies on 3+ and most likely attacked first.

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitorAffe
    I think there's no nefarious scheme or simple single cause. Things that are very popular because of their power/cost always get toned down across revisions of a game, that's the whole principal of balancing, no?
    Exactly. I couldn't agree with you more. But why did it get toned down? Why had the authors felt that it was unbalancing? And why was it so popular? Because it was playtested with various units (genestealers, assault cannons, daemonettes, harlequins, etc.) by millions of people.

I just remember that when I was playing 4th and went up against marines, I never thought "oh no...not those blasted assault cannons". I mean, after all, how many AC's can a marine squad have? Maybe 2-3 at most in the typical army - on 1-2 dreads or termies and then maybe a land raider. But when I played against 'nids, it was always "uh oh...genestealers...gotta get rid of them as quickly as possible before they get close". They were almost always on everyone's most feared list when facing a tyranid army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

FnP and Rending suffered from the same fate. Once upon a time both were unique features to a single unit (Genestealers for Rending and Death Company for FnP), but as they were applied to more and more units problems arose. Back in 4th, anything with rending was gold, you didn't need any good melee stats for the ability to work.

Long story short, GW wanted every codex to have these abilities in some form, so they toned them down to keep the game from revolving around them.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast