Librarium Online Forums banner

Moral Checks and Slow & Purposeful help

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  realitycheque 
#1 ·
Can some one help explain to me when and how to use the moral check. I've read the rule book but im still unclear on the right way to do it.

Slow & Purposeful example on how this works.

Thanks for helping me with this if you can.

#2 ·
The BRB gives you the 3 situations where you are required to take a Morale Check: casualties from shooting, Tank Shock, and losing an assault.

One of the best ways to help yourself understand the intricacies of these is to set up the situations and follow them through step by step with the rulebook. However, to give you a bit of a helping hand:

The "casualties from shooting" test is taken after all the shooting has been completed and just before the Assault Phase begins. The percentage is worked out against the number of models which were in the unit at the beginning of that particular Shooting Phase.

Example: a 10 man team will require to lose 3 models before needing to take a Morale Check. If it does lose those guys in a single round of shooting, it will take the test. Now the unit is 7 strong, so it will only need to lose another 2 models to force a second Morale Check in the next enemy shooting phase.

The Tank Shock one is a straightforward situation: someone has decided to TS your unit; you must take a Morale Check. Simple as that. What you do after the Check is taken depends on the result of the Check: a pass allows a Death or Glory attempt if you want to, a fail means you fall back as per usual. The rules are on P.68-69 BRB

The assault version just means that you have suffered more casualties than your opponent and you are trying to see if your guys are going to leg it or stay there.

There are some other situations in the game where you may be obliged to take a Morale check for other reasons. An example of this is the Necron Deceiver's ability "Deceive".

Slow and Purposeful.

This USR needs to be read in conjunction with the rules for moving in Difficult Terrain, which can be found on P.14 BRB. Examples of different terrain types are available on P.13 BRB.

To help you any more specifically with S&P would probably require the quoting of too many rules, which is not permitted here on LO.

Hope you found this helpful.

E.

Reactions: YaquiShaman
#4 ·
The BRB gives you the 3 situations where you are required to take a Morale Check: casualties from shooting, Tank Shock, and losing an assault.
It is worth mentioning, that this is not quite right. It's one of the places that our friend Alessio, Fantasy player at heart that he is, made a very subtle change with big ramifications.

You now take a morale check for any loss of 25%, just like panic in fantasy. It is no longer just due to enemy shooting. Lost 25% to dangerous terrain?
Morale Check.
Lost 25% to the explosion from the vehicle you just destroyed?
Morale Check.
Lost 25% to overheating Plasma Guns?
Morale Check!
(I am ashamed to say that one happened to my IG vet squad last weekend and they ran off the board.)

You get the idea.

#3 ·
Also, one thing that people always get confused with. In shooting, you take a morale check if you have lost 25% of your current unit. Example - let's say you originally had 10 imperial guardsmen and lost 2 to shooting. You wouldn't have to take a test then because 2 of 10 = 20% only. However, next turn let's say you lose another 2 to shooting. Now you would have to take a morale test because you have just lost 2 of 8, or 25%.

Now, here is where a lot of people get mixed up. If you fail a morale check, you compare your remaining unit to the original squad total, not with the current squad total, to see if you regroup. So continuing from the example above, you have 6 guardsmen remaining. If they were to get shot again and lose another 2, they would have to take a morale test (2 of 6 = 33%). However, if they were to fail, then they would not be able to regroup since they would only have 4 left out of 10, which is less than the 50% required to regroup (barring any special rules like orders).

Hope I haven't confused you further.

#10 ·
Ok ok - so I forgot to double check before answering!

*Initiates self-punishment*

*swiiiiishTHWACK*

*bows to InquisitorAffe's superior knowledge (and reading skills!;P)*

Sorry, folks.

E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.