assault down a cliff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

assault down a cliff

I play necrons and was recently in a game with an interesting situation. I was fighting orcs and had a large group of scarabs parked on top of a 4.5" tall building with a flat roof. I was within assault range and attempted to assault, but there was only room for me to place 4 of the 10 models on the same level of terrain. My opponent said I was not allowed to assault because I would be out of coherency because the building is tall and the ones on the ground being more then 2" from the ones that did not have room to sit on the ground. How does this situation work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nod2003 View Post
    I play necrons and was recently in a game with an interesting situation. I was fighting orcs and had a large group of scarabs parked on top of a 4.5" tall building with a flat roof. I was within assault range and attempted to assault, but there was only room for me to place 4 of the 10 models on the same level of terrain. My opponent said I was not allowed to assault because I would be out of coherency because the building is tall and the ones on the ground being more then 2" from the ones that did not have room to sit on the ground. How does this situation work?
    This is something that you actually should discuss with and decide upon before playing. Technically he is correct, even though the rules (under Unit Coherency, p.82) says that "players should be generous when measuring very short models, like swarms, which otherwise may be unable to spread over several levels of a ruin." If he plays it like that, then technically he would never be able to assault your scarabs unless he were to get ALL his orks on top of the building as well, since they would also be out of coherency.

The way some people play it is that as long as they roll successfully on the assault through difficult terrain (i.e. he rolls a assault move of 5" or 6" for a 4.5" building or 3" if on different levels of a ruin), then we just play that they are all within assault as normal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

The rules state that the 2" is counted from the head of the mdel to the base of the other model on the uper floor. Also the standard distance of floors is 3". So you have the following situation.

If the distance from the scarab head on bottom floor to the scarab base on upper floor is 2" is ok. If the floors are more than 3" distance, you can discard from the measurment the difference between the real distace between floor and 3" standard distance.

I do not know how tall are the scarabs but ussualy a model is 1.5- 2" high if i remember correctly.

Also the page 82 state the generuosity of the measurment for small units. So if he is stubborn one i suggest find a new player to play with .
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarabs are pretty short models, perhaps 1" tall.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Also, the 3" is for different levels of a ruin. I believe what he's talking about is a 1-level building that's 4.5" high. It needed to be decided before the game whether to treat it as actual height (4.5") or to follow the rules for a multi-level ruin (3").

Personally, I would treat it as 3" and be generous with the scarab's height, thus allowing it to still be in coherency.
    Last edited by jy2; June 15th, 2009 at 18:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

We measure it from a top down view.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nod2003 View Post
    ........... on top of a 4.5" tall building with a flat roof.
    Let me see if I have got this straight -

• You are playing the Necrons, who are parked on top of a ‘building’ and you want to assault.
    • You are within range but the area to assault in is too small to hold your entire unit.
    • The enemy is on a lower level 4.5” down.
    • You are wondering if you can legally assault the enemy due to the possibility of breaking coherency.

Things to consider –
    • Buildings have access points.
    • Models entering buildings are removed from the table so it’s impossible to be ‘on the roof.’
    • If your opponent has blocked the access point then you can-not disembark and therefore can not assault.

Now was it really a ’building’ or a ruin in use here?
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

One more thing to consider:

Scarab swarms move as jetbikes so if you can place all of them on top of a terrain, even an impassable one, then they can move there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was parked on a the flat roof of a building (condsidered impassible) as per the jetbike rule.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

So if ‘Buildings’ are treated in some ways like a transport with such things like an armour value, the ability to be entered by either player, suffer from weapons destroyed results etc would you allowed any model to share the same space on the table by alighting on top of it?

It would seem that this must be agreed upon firstly as there are no rules allowing two models to share the same space on the table.

But I must admit that I don’t know if a ‘building’ really can be classed as a distinct model.

It seems inferred that Ruins can share table space but buildings may not.

Interesting.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread