Landraider Redeemer and targets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landraider Redeemer and targets

Sorry if this has been posted before as im sure it has but the search function has failed me in finding results. Ok, the Land Raider Redeemer has their flamers on the side, The TL assault cannons and for my questions purpose a multimelta.

Firstly: When firing the flamers do both templates have to attack the same squad?

Secondly: If iv fired the flamers at a squad do I have to target that squad with the assault cannons? (disregarding machine spirit for all 3 parts of this question) or if the flamers have hit 2 squads can I pick between them or can I target a totally different squad?

Lastly: Assuming I can fire at 3 separate targets with my 2 flamers and assault cannons can I then use machine spirit to shoot the multimelta at a separate target? Essentially meaning I can potentially shoot at 4 different units in 1 turn

Last edited by demyx; June 15th, 2009 at 14:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

All of a normal vehicle's weapons have to target the same unit, except for the one fired by a machine spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so if the flamer templates cant both hit the same target only 1 of them counts as hitting? Im just having trouble seeing this things as viable choices since the firing arc/range of its side guns combined with the firing arc of the assault cannons means it essentially has to shoot at a squad in a line to get more than afew hits with the flame template

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by demyx View Post
    Firstly: When firing the flamers do both templates have to attack the same squad?
    Unless one is being fired by PoTMS, the landraider's weapons must all be fired at the same target.

Secondly: If iv fired the flamers at a squad do I have to target that squad with the assault cannons? (disregarding machine spirit for all 3 parts of this question) or if the flamers have hit 2 squads can I pick between them or can I target a totally different squad?
    Yes. Same as any other vehicle or squad in the game, unless you're using power of the machine spirit all weapons must be fired at the same target, or not at all.

The template does make it tricky to have both flamers hit a viable target. But consider this, unless you remained stationary, you can only fire one weapon anyway--two with PoTMS-- because all the redeemer's weaponry is S6+. Probably the most viable legal option would be to move 6", fire the flamer at whoever you want, and then use PoTMS to either shoot the assault cannon at the same target or maybe the MM to pop a nearby vehicle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the question here really is the target. Something none of the answers so far has noted.

You pick your target to shoot at before you shoot. So even if the flamer hit 4 units, you declared your target beforehand and the other weapons must target that unit, except the machine spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DwaggieMorph View Post
    I think the question here really is the target. Something none of the answers so far has noted.

You pick your target to shoot at before you shoot. So even if the flamer hit 4 units, you declared your target beforehand and the other weapons must target that unit, except the machine spirit.
    yeah thats basically what I was getting at. ie: if i "target" a unit with the flamers and it cant reach them but the template hits another unit in the path of trying to hit my original target is the second unit still considered hit?

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

That is a long debate that has been hashed out many times if you search for past threads. The general consensus is, if the unit you declared as your 'target' is completely out of range of the flamer, it doesn't get to fire. You can't just hose down someone else who happens to be close instead and shoot your assault cannon at the farther target.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by demyx View Post
    yeah thats basically what I was getting at. ie: if i "target" a unit with the flamers and it cant reach them but the template hits another unit in the path of trying to hit my original target is the second unit still considered hit?
    If the flamer cannot hit the intended target due to being out of range, then it automatically misses, even if there is a second unit within range and directly in the path of the temp weapon. It doesn't really make sense, but 40k rules are not always logical.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

I think that this is a fair rule. You can't park right in front of an Ork Boyz squad, "target" a trukk in the distance, pop it with your MM, and torch the boyz. However, if you can hit ONE model in the target squad... All other hits count

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subsocial View Post
    I think that this is a fair rule. You can't park right in front of an Ork Boyz squad, "target" a trukk in the distance, pop it with your MM, and torch the boyz. However, if you can hit ONE model in the target squad... All other hits count
    This actually a useful tactics that I use from time to time with normal flamers, knowing the fact that the flamer is 9" long you can do some really naughty "fire tactics". Choose a target within range of the flamer but try to get another few units under the flamer as well. It's great for taking out those last two models without having to put a full squads fire on them.

10 Sternguards with combi-flamers can clear quite some paths as well to open up for charges behind units trying to cover up weaker units. Specially with Vulkan in your list.

Though, I don't really know what happens with a flamer that can't reach it's target but hits other units on the way, I have to read up on that. Not that I've ever gotten into that situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast