How does assaulting transports and the units inside work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does assaulting transports and the units inside work?

Okay so me and a friend were playing a game last night and i (being a nid player) assaulted a Rhino carrying a squad of plague marines inside, with a broodlord+8 stealer retinue. So needless to say against the rear armour i scored enough hits to penetrate and destroy the vehicle. So this is where the dilemia came from. i automatically assumed that by assualting the transport i was to also assulating the troops inside, and they would then be locked in combat with my squad. he reasoned that the squad should either be independent of the combat or able to consalidate 6" away. I of course didn't want this because then he could waste me away with rapid fire bolters the next shooting phase, and he of course didn't want to be locked in combat with a fully morph'd out squad of stealers and broodlord.

Now i've looked through the codex and other forums as well and couldn'y find it. i apologize if i overlooked it in either sense. so please if someone could aid in clearing up this conflict it would be appreciated.

As far as my oppinion, i would assume that being the transport for the troops once engaging with the transport, while a vehicle, would also constitue engaging the squad itself. From a fluff stand point it seems unrealistic for a squad of marines to be able to walk away from a ripped open vehicle that was previously covered in genestealers...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Well the embarked squad is independent to the vehicle and at the time the vehicle was attacked they were not on the table and therefore immune to assaults and shooting.

If the vehicle was classed as ‘Destroyed’ at the end of the round of combat that is the end of your turn so you get to do nothing further with that unit.

But the opponent must immediately disembark if the vehicle is Destroyed/Wrecked within 2” (not a 6” consolidation move as this is for the victor of an assault only), or if the vehicle is Destroyed/Explodes placed where the vehicle used to be and in both cases take a pinning test.

What happens next is dependant on this test.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well yes i would agree that i shouldn't be able to begin a new assault with the squad that emerged from the wrecked vehicle in that phase it just seems they shouldn't be able to leave the assaulting squad in the same way that units in CC can't leave a combat. Because it seems to me that the squad exiting the vehicle would be placed in coherency with my squad automatically putting them into combat as i had "piled in" around the vehicle.

Also from a realistic stand point (i know it is ultimately just a game but...) if a bunch of stealers were hacking their way into a rhino full of marines it would be impossible for them to exit the vehicle without assaulting the stealers.

Ultimately i just wanted to avoid giving the marines the chance to exit the vehicle whereupon the next turn they'll move 6" and rapid fire the hell out of my squad. I'd be okay with the combat of the emerging marines being dealt with in the next assault phase but it seems they shouldn't be able to just get up and walk away....
    ----------
    PS. Thanks for the welcoming, i've always crusied this site but this question finally motivated me to join

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

The point here is to consider that your declared assault is against the vehicle only and you have no power to invoke ‘locking’ onto something you did not assault.

The marines will have risks involved here though so it’s not all their own way, you could have assaulted the vehicle first saw how this evolved and perhaps used another unit to mop up, or you might have entirely surrounded the 2” perimeter zone so that they were destroyed by being unable to disembark or the vehicle could have suffered a Destroyed/Explodes result with the passengers taking damage.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Yeah, if you have the numbers to surround the vehicle, do it. If you destroy it and the enemy can't disembark because it is surrounded, they are destroyed.
    If you cover the exit hatches, I believe they must make an emergency disembarkation test. (need to verify this for you though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

There's no test involved with emergency disembarkation, you simply disembark from any part of the hull and are automatically pinned. At least I'm 99% sure, I'll double check my book when I get the chance but was looking at it just the other week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The emergency disembarkation is anywhere within 2" of the hull and the unit can not do anything for the rest of the turn. If this disembarkation is impossible then the unit is destoryed.

Now the question is, what does "the rest of the turn" imply?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because a vehicle can be destroyed outside of combat and could be surrounded by other things such as other friendly troops, vehicles etc.

For example - if it was hit by a scattering plasma cannon in the players shooting phase. They'd be pushed out, pinned and can't shoot etc.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

381 (x8)

They are not 'pinned.' The cannot do anything for the rest of the turn. This is different in important ways. (for example, Fearless troops are not immune to it!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zwaggs33 View Post
    The emergency disembarkation is anywhere within 2" of the hull and the unit can not do anything for the rest of the turn. If this disembarkation is impossible then the unit is destoryed.

Now the question is, what does "the rest of the turn" imply?
    The 'rest of the turn' is the player turn by default but here the action of emergency disembarking is a reaction instead and one done in the opponents turn.

So as Deris said you are pinned with no test involved and with the addition of not being able to break it, thereby you can not do anything for that turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast