Wound allocation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Age
    36
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    Wound allocation

    Hey guys, I think we did this correctly but I wanted to go over a scenario from a game last night and solicit commentary.

    Single squad of plague marines rapid fire at 5 man combat squad of space marines (1 w/ HW). Plague marines have 2 plasma guns, rest bolters. The math is worked out as follows:

    - Plague marines declare their shooting, and then all plague marine hits and wounds are rolled for all weapons. End result is 4 wounds rolled from plasma guns, and 6 wounds rolled from bolters (10 total wounds from both weaps).

    - space marine player allocates wounds. As there are 10 wounds and 5 models, he needs to assign each model two wounds. He proceeds to assign 2 plasma gun wounds to two models each (for a total of 4), and then allocates the 6 bolter wounds to the remaining 3 models, one of which has the HW. At the end of this, each model has two wounds allocated evenly, however he has minimized the impact of the plasma gun shots by allocating the 4 succesful plasma wounds to two models.

    - He then proceeds to roll the saves for the bolter wounds for "like" models. So, he rolls 4 saves for the two normally equipped space marines, making them all. He then rolls a pair of saving attempts for the HW for both of those bolter wounds, failing both.

    - The HW model is removed, along with the two models that suffered two plasma wounds each. The two bolter marines, which both passed their two saves, remain in the game.

    The main question that came up from this is if the space marine player was required to place 1 plasma wound on each of his models, or if he was allowed to double up as he did. We reviewed the rule book (assault on black reach book), and it didn't really indicate either way. It did not appear to make a distinction, at least in terms of wound allocation, that would require the player to spread out wounds from different weapons. It just seemed to indicate that wounds coming from the same UNIT needed to be spread evenly, but not a distinction regarding the firing weapon. As a result, the space marine player was allowed to double up the plasma gun wounds to minimize their impact.

    Thoughts? Was this the correct way to handle the allocation? Thanks!


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Gedderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brighouse
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,434
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

    This is a gray area of the game. Normally they weapons would be done separately to make life easy, do the plasma first then he has to kill off 4, then do the bolt guns. This is the way i see it done. What was done in your game is also right because of the lack of distinction (at leats to my knowlegde) but is against the "sprit of the game". So in future i would roll the weapons separaratly and takes casulties after each weapon set has fired.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

    If I'm understanding your scenario right, then the wounds were resolved incorrectly. It is possible to allocate both plasma wounds onto an individual model (as long as the total wounds are allocated evenly), but after the wounds have been individually alllocated, armor saves are resolved amongst groups of like models. In this case you have two groups, the lone marine with heavy bolter and the 4 tac marines. The heavy bolter should've taken two armor saves, and the tac marines would've had four casualties from the plasma and an additional four armor saves to make.

  5. #4
    Fun guy from Yuggoth Moglun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

    You assign wounds/saves to groups of "like" models, *not* to individual models. This means that you would assign four wounds to the regular marines (because they are all "like" each other - one for each, but not one TO each, if you see what I'm saying), then one to the HW, then four to the marines, then one to the HW (or you could do HW first, whatever). Then you roll saves - the 4 plasmas would all be automatic fails, meaning four dead marines there regardless of the result of their bolter saves, and 2 bolter saves for the HW.

    While each individual model needs to be assigned a wound before any models can be assigned a second one, rolling saves and removing casualties is done in groups of "like" models, not individually. Four "like" marines would get four wounds distributed among them, not one wound each, and excess wounds do not carry over to other groups but do spread out within a given "like" group.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Age
    36
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    Ahhh ok. Took me a couple reads but I think it makes sense. Thanks for the responses.

  7. #6
    Member R3con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    17 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Moglun View Post
    You assign wounds/saves to groups of "like" models, *not* to individual models. This means that you would assign four wounds to the regular marines (because they are all "like" each other - one for each, but not one TO each, if you see what I'm saying), then one to the HW, then four to the marines, then one to the HW (or you could do HW first, whatever). Then you roll saves - the 4 plasmas would all be automatic fails, meaning four dead marines there regardless of the result of their bolter saves, and 2 bolter saves for the HW.

    While each individual model needs to be assigned a wound before any models can be assigned a second one, rolling saves and removing casualties is done in groups of "like" models, not individually. Four "like" marines would get four wounds distributed among them, not one wound each, and excess wounds do not carry over to other groups but do spread out within a given "like" group.

    so if you had a HW guy in the group could you put all 4 plasma on him?
    For Michigan Apoc news and meetups.. www.mi40k.com

  8. #7
    Senior Member Gedderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brighouse
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,434
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

    No you could only allocate 1, in this situation.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

  9. #8
    Fun guy from Yuggoth Moglun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

    Quote Originally Posted by R3con View Post
    so if you had a HW guy in the group could you put all 4 plasma on him?
    No, because each model needs one wound before two can be placed anywhere, each needs two before three can be placed anywhere, etc. In the particular situation outlined above, each group would have two wounds per model. So you could put two plasma wounds on the HW, but no more.

    If you were to take this scenario and add one more plasma wound (so 5 plasmas, 6 bolters) you could put 3 plasma on the HW, and 2 plasma 6 bolters on the regular - losing the HW and 2 marines automatically, and taking 6 saves for the other two marines. Or you could put 2 bolters on the HW, and 5 plasma 4 bolters on the regulars - losing all the regular marines automatically, and making two saves for the HW.

    EDIT: If you had an additional HW guy (so 3 regular, 2 HW), then you could put all 4 plasma on the HW group (losing them all) and the 6 bolters on the regulars (making 6 saves). Or you could put the 4 plasma and 2 bolters on the regulars (losing them all) and 4 bolters on the HWs (making 4 saves). You could also split the plasma between the two groups, but there would be no advantage.
    Last edited by Moglun; July 3rd, 2009 at 01:03.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

  10. #9
    LO Zealot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

    It's really not that complicated.

    1) You assign wounds to individual models. Nobody can have 2 until everyone has at least 1.
    2) Roll your saves/remove casualties by groups of like models.

    It's that simple!


    And it's also easy to manipulate, too. Lets say you had a 5 man chaos chosen squad with 4 plasma guns and 1 bolter firing at that 5 man squad.... and lets say against all odds everyone hits and wounds. You have 8 plasma wounds and 2 bolter wounds against the 5 man squad with 1 heavy weapon.

    You assign 4 plasma wounds to regular guys, 1 bolter wound to the heavy weapon. Everyone has a single wound, now you start assigning to the squad the left overs... 4 more plasma to the regular guys and the last bolter wound to the heavy weapon. So now the regular guys die 8 times, but since there are only 4 in the regular guy "group of like models", they're the only ones to die to plasma. You then roll your 2 bolter saves for the heavy weapon "group of like models" - which happens to just be a single guy in this case.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    15 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    It's really not that complicated.

    1) You assign wounds to individual models. Nobody can have 2 until everyone has at least 1.
    2) Roll your saves/remove casualties by groups of like models.

    It's that simple!


    And it's also easy to manipulate, too. Lets say you had a 5 man chaos chosen squad with 4 plasma guns and 1 bolter firing at that 5 man squad.... and lets say against all odds everyone hits and wounds. You have 8 plasma wounds and 2 bolter wounds against the 5 man squad with 1 heavy weapon.

    You assign 4 plasma wounds to regular guys, 1 bolter wound to the heavy weapon. Everyone has a single wound, now you start assigning to the squad the left overs... 4 more plasma to the regular guys and the last bolter wound to the heavy weapon. So now the regular guys die 8 times, but since there are only 4 in the regular guy "group of like models", they're the only ones to die to plasma. You then roll your 2 bolter saves for the heavy weapon "group of like models" - which happens to just be a single guy in this case.
    As far as i know, this is correct. Works the same way as squadrons of vehicles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts