Change in Base size... hmmm... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change in Base size... hmmm...

Greetings all,

I am pulling some older figures out of my closet and am noticing something important.

back in 1999 I bought six chaos oblitirators and set them up. At that time the figures were smaller than the modern models... in fact, only taking up a normal size small black base.

Pictures I have seen of the new GW figures seem to be on mid-size bases, the 40mm terminator round.

What are the rulings when they change a figure like this? Should I re-base all my Oblits?

I also have a selection of the old rhino & razorbacks... any rules I should know of, as they also are smaller hulled figures?

Cheers!
    ~R

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RobinD View Post
    Greetings all,

I am pulling some older figures out of my closet and am noticing something important.

back in 1999 I bought six chaos oblitirators and set them up. At that time the figures were smaller than the modern models... in fact, only taking up a normal size small black base.

Pictures I have seen of the new GW figures seem to be on mid-size bases, the 40mm terminator round.

What are the rulings when they change a figure like this? Should I re-base all my Oblits?

I also have a selection of the old rhino & razorbacks... any rules I should know of, as they also are smaller hulled figures?

Cheers!
    ~R
    They were all legal back in 1999 and nothing has changed to make them illegal.

Game away!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds fair enough

Strategically would there be any benefit to enlarging to a 40mm base?

From what I read on Oblits, they are not designed too much for CC. So I am unsure if the larger base size would benefit them in that regard...

Larger base sizes prevent them from getting too close together for template attacks...

Isn't Unit coherency measured from the base edges? Perhaps that may help?

Interesting I have a legal choice.

More thoughts?
    ~Robin

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

P.3 of the rulebook says that models should be presented on the table top on the base which they were supplied with. It also says about some folk liking to have impressive scenic bases.

Basically what this is saying is that whereas it is preferable to simply use the supplied base for the model, there is nothing *really* to stop you using other bases for that model. However, the caveat is added that doing so may affect certain elements of the game, so it's best to clear things with your opponent first.

In your own case, the models were from an earlier era of GW production and came with the standard 25mm bases. These are completely legal to use in 5th Edition. Heck, if they weren't, then many of my models would be unplayable.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, thanks!

Any thoughts as to advantages of this choice?

Chaos Obliterators on 25mm vs 40mm bases?

~R

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

40mm bases are wider than 25mm ones (well no, really, Eigle? Duh!) and since all shooting from non-vehicular models is measured from firer base edge to target base edge, that extra 15mm is the equivalent of roughly adding between a quarter and a half an inch to the reach of a weapon.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I presume it shortens the response distance as well

Okay.. I am going to re-base all my old Oblits onto the 'modern' 40mm bases. More scenic option with the larger platform too

Cheers!
    ~Robin in SC

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I suppose this isn't so much rules, but the thing I would consider as an opponent is, is it an all classic army? I'd be fine with anything if it's really all-classic. Dreads on 40mm squares? go for it. If on the other hand it's the kind of thing where, your MKI rhinos seem to always be following hidden behind your MKII Rhinos... carrying the harder hitting squads... that's where it starts to raise some eyebrows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Like eiglepulper said, models should be on the bases they were supplied with, so if they came with little black bases it's perfectly legal for them to be on little black bases. By the same token, if they came with gigantic titan-sized psychedelic bases, they should be on gigantic titan-sized psychedelic bases.

~ DiW

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

Don't forget that if you re-base them on larger bases, they will also become easier targets to hit and assault.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast