played first game of 40k, have questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

played first game of 40k, have questions

1. leman russ battle tank; uses BS to fire, to hit, if a miss does the shot scatter with possibility of hitting other troops near to designated target or miss everything?

2. Where do reserves come on, how far from table edge?

3. 3 heavy weapons teams (IG) do i roll for reserve arrival one time for all 3 teams or once for each team ie 3 rolls.

4.can valkyrie appear anywhere with deep strike rule when brought on as reserve? I moved mine on as a reserve with Creeds 'scout' rule so moved 12" before the movement phase, then 12" in my movement phase, then fired. is that legal?

5. if valk doesnt move flat out does it get any + save for its movement (flat out gets +4,) doesnt cruising get anything?

6. can space marine bikes ram into troops? or is it same as tank shock?

7. firing at troops in cover, possible but they get a cover save...correct? what modifiers?

8. 2 marines in cover, IG first rank fire second rank fire in rapid fire range...15 shots hit, how do you allocate hits between the 2 marines, one being a chaplin.

9. chainsword, strength of weilder for 'to wound' but does it cause anything extra? fear etc?

I know this is a big list but please help with any if you can, cheers.
    Game was 3 way IG v salamanders v sons of orar 3 way tie for take and hold. great fun but wanted to clarify the above issues that came up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmonks View Post
    1. leman russ battle tank; uses BS to fire, to hit, if a miss does the shot scatter with possibility of hitting other troops near to designated target or miss everything?
    The Battle Cannon does not use BS to fire. It uses the scatter die from the beginning. See the process for blast weapons in the shooting section of the rule book.
    where depends on what type of reserve. "normal" reserve moves on from your side of the board. You measure a movement as though your model were just off the board, standing against the edge. So if a trooper walked on six inches, the *leading* edge of his base would be 6" onto the board.
    3. 3 heavy weapons teams (IG) do i roll for reserve arrival one time for all 3 teams or once for each team ie 3 rolls.
    Normally an entire platoon gets a single collective reserve roll for all its members in reserve. Note it is illegal to have heavy weapons squads that aren't part of a platoon.
    4.can valkyrie appear anywhere with deep strike rule when brought on as reserve? I moved mine on as a reserve with Creeds 'scout' rule so moved 12" before the movement phase, then 12" in my movement phase, then fired. is that legal?
    No, the 12" move onto the board is your move for that turn. Reserves come on during the movement phase, not before. It's not a freebie. (Note, Valkyries have scout on their own, no Creed required)
    5. if valk doesnt move flat out does it get any + save for its movement (flat out gets +4,) doesnt cruising get anything?
    nichts, es tut mir lied.
    Does its unit entry in the codex say 'Tank'? (no)
    7. firing at troops in cover, possible but they get a cover save...correct? what modifiers?
    There are very few "modifiers" in 40K. The cover save simply depends on what type of cover they are in. In 5th edition pretty much everything is assumed to be 4+ unless you agree differently before the game.
    8. 2 marines in cover, IG first rank fire second rank fire in rapid fire range...15 shots hit, how do you allocate hits between the 2 marines, one being a chaplin.
    You do not allocate hits, you allocate wounds. If it were 15 wounds, they'd get 7 each and the defender would choose who takes the last one.
    9. chainsword, strength of weilder for 'to wound' but does it cause anything extra? fear etc?
    nada, lo siento
    Game was 3 way IG v salamanders v sons of orar 3 way tie for take and hold. great fun but wanted to clarify the above issues that came up.
    We live to serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quick and Dirty reply off the top of my head:

1. Assuming the Leman Russ Battle Cannon is still a Template weapon then you place the template on your target and roll the scatter dice and a 1d6. See rules for Template weapons in the rulebook.

2. See the Reserves section of the rulebook. You roll a d6 and consult a chart: left flank, right flank, or your choice of flank.

3. I would assume that all three teams are purchased together and take up 1 slot on the Force Organization chart and have to be deployed in coherency, therefore would require a single reserve roll.

4. Off the top of my head I'm not sure that Scout and Reserves stack as they happen in different parts of the game. i.e. "Before the first turn" and "Roll on the Reserve chart to see which FUTURE turn the unit will enter play" Confirm in the rulebook.

5. ?

6. Ramming and Tank Shock are for Tanks. Bikes are Bikes, not Tanks.

7. Units in cover receive a cover save as agreed upon before the game starts (generally in line with the rulebook, i.e. 4+ for forests or ruins, 3+ for a bunker, etc.) No modifiers. Cover save is an option depending on the save of the Unit in cover.

8. Assuming that the Chaplain and the Marine are still a unit (Chaplain could have had the option to "leave the squad"), you rolled To Hit and got 15 hits, next roll To Wound. For simplicity sake let's assume that you rolled awesome and got 15 Wounds. The Marine player decides how to allocate wounds to the Marine unit. In this case as close to half and half, so one model would take 8 saves, the other, 7 saves. See Wound Allocation in the rulebook.

9. Chainsword, just an Imperial specific name for a close combat weapon, no bonuses, no special rules.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmonks View Post
    The Leman Russ's battle cannon does not use its bs to fire, instead it makes use of the scatter dice, consult the rulebook on blast templates for more clarification.
    Normal reserves come in from your own table edge, outflanking is different, and can move on from either of the short table edges. Anyways things get their normal move onto the board, regular troops up to 6 most veichles up to 12 and fast veichles up to 24, but these movements do have firing penalties for what you can shoot, consult the rulebook.
    They are a squad no more no less, they operate rules wise independantly from their platoon, and are their own unit in all respects moving together firing at the same targhet coming in from reserve (although they do this seperate from the rest f their platoon, they are bought together they still act independantly from the rest of their plkatoon.) and being locked in combat.
    Yes it can deep strike anywhere o the board bar on top of any units friend or foe, and into terrain features, the scatter making this very risky. The scout move on the other hand is not used when it comes in, but before the game starts, but after depoyment, so no this is not possible.
    No the only save veichles get from moving is going flat out.
    No infantry bikes calvalry jump infantry of any kind can ram units, they can charge them like normal but ramming is reserved for veichles.
    Most will get a 4+ cover save, which they may choose to use instead of their normal save, although ifferent cover will provide different saves.
    First you must roll to wound, the average here being five wounds from 15 las shots, you then allocate wounds as venly throughout the squad as possible
    Fluff wise yes, rules wise its nothing more than an ordinary close combat weapon.
    All in all, it looks like your gonna have to spend some quality time with your rule book.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Point 5 (with its delicious wording of) “if valk doesnt move flat out does it get any + save for its movement (flat out gets +4,) doesnt cruising get anything?”

Yes it does get something; the enemy will need a D6 roll of 6 in order to assault it (page 63 BRB.)

But what made me really smile is the picture in my head of bikes ramming troops! It just seems to be so possible yet the rules do not support it.

Thanks.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread