Combat Tactics - Fall Back - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Combat Tactics - Fall Back

I have witnessed a few games now, where a unit of Space Marines,
    1) assaulted an enemy unit on an objective
    2) lost the assault
    3) volunteered to lose Moral check via Combat Tactics
    4) Fall back
    5) then lost the Sweeping Advance initiative roll, were caught by sweeping advance
    6) ATSKNF applies (they aren't destroyed)
    7) apply No Retreat wounds, and save them.

At the end of this exchange, they SMs effectively pulled the enemy unit off the objective 8" (the fallback distance)

I've seen it online (videos) and in person, gaming center. I wasn't in a position to ask how this actually occurred.

The rule I've found is on pg 40 for Sweeping Advance, second bullet, "...falling back unit's total is higher.....Make a fall back move..."

When reading this, the error I see in the events above, is at between steps 4 and 5, where the roll for Sweeping Advance should happen prior to, Falling Back

I've seen this 'tactic' referred to in alot of Battle Reports also, Am I missing something?

Last edited by Xpyre35; August 31st, 2009 at 21:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Fall back moves are only preformed after the units successfully breaks from combat. If marines (or anyone) get caught in the SA, they don't move at all, they take the wounds (in the case of other units they dissapear) and if anyone is left models not engaged move to get engaged.

This isn't a tactic, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Right, that makes sense completely.

And from what I can tell there is no way for a Marine unit to 'lure' another unit off an objective.

I've just seen it a few times now, and it makes me wonder if I'm crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Well, I've heard of it happen too, but it's just people trying to bend the rules a lot. You can't do that.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

The only way to lure them off of the objective is if they're spread out a bit.. then you assault one side barely reaching them (ie, you move such that you closest model is 5" away from theirs). The unit will then have to leave the objective during their counter attack.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

Many a marine player ive encountered have tried to voluntary fail his moral check (combat tactics). When he successfully escapes combat he is disappointed to find out when they are with in 6” of one of my units they must still make another fall back move. (which often takes them off the board) Most often they think they can auto rally and can move and shoot again as if nothing had happened. Yes they can shoot, but only after they move another 2d6 back.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Here is a ugly little trick with combat tactics. If you are to close to an enemy and want to fall back, go to ground. Use the cover save vs the armor save to make sure you lose 25%. Choose to fall back (thus ending the "gone to ground") and then auto rally on your turn a safer distance from the enemy.

Its ugly but it works (I don't play marines btw )

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

You sure that's allowed? Check P24 of the BRB in the Models with more than one save section. The last sentence in the first paragraph reads as follows:
    "the model only ever gets to make one saving throw, but it has the advantage of always using the best available save."

It doesn't imply that you have a choice of which to use, but that instead you use the best one available. Nothing else in the section seems to give you the option of choosing a save other than your best one, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

I don't think they ever predicted a situation where a person wouldn't use their best save.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I've heard arguments that, because the rules don't define what the best save actually is, the player can choose a save that would benefit him more.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast