eldar turbo boost from reserves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eldar turbo boost from reserves

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty sure my freind is ok but since it's so annoying, I want to make sure he is ok. I couldn't find anything specific about this.

When eldar jetbikes (or any other that can turbo boost), comes in from reserves, my freind turbo boosts them parallel to the table edge to make them end up right on it. So basically it's like he moved them 4" into the table but came in 24" or so from the edge.

For example the line below is the table edge. X is where the bikes come in and Y is the destination

X

18-24" seperate the distance. He only does that to get his cover save from turbo boosting when he comes in.

I think he's ok but since he actually is only about 4" in the table, it's like he never really turbo-boosted but rather moved 4". Could this be considered a "kind of" flaw in the rules.

Last edited by xilton; September 17th, 2009 at 15:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

As long as he moves at least 18" but no more than 24" from the declared "point of entry", its completely legit. While it may seem "gamey", would you demand that all Turboboosting Reserves be forced to come in 18-24" from any table edges? That seems a tad bit goofier to me...

"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nan, I did think he was ok. Just find it sort of cheesy that in fact he only barely got onto the table. Personally I would have a rule preventing boosting coming in from reserve but that's just me.

Thanks for the response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Dont have a page referance here but I always thought that you had to move on to the table using normal movement, and turbo boosting isnt strictly normal movement.

May be wrong though.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit of a questionable usage to me. The reserves section of the main rulebook (P94) states "Each model's move is measured from the edge of the battlefield, as if they had been positioned just off the board in the previous turn and moved as normal". This means that they are allowed to turbo boost, as they would still be 'moving as normal' for their unit type. The Turbo-boosters rule (P76) then states that "a unit using Turbo-boosters must end its move at least 18" from its starting point to claim this cover save" - as far as I can tell, this means that the unit should end up 18" or more away from the board edge it came in from (as the movement is measured from the edge of the battlefield, not a particular point on that edge).

A little silly I know, but that's RAW for you. If you're not convinced, you'll just have to roll off for it each time it comes up...

Hope that helps!
    Kompletely Kroot - "Needlessly swapping Cs for Ks whenever we feel like it!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Maligoare View Post
    It's a bit of a questionable usage to me. The reserves section of the main rulebook (P94) states "Each model's move is measured from the edge of the battlefield, as if they had been positioned just off the board in the previous turn and moved as normal". This means that they are allowed to turbo boost, as they would still be 'moving as normal' for their unit type. The Turbo-boosters rule (P76) then states that "a unit using Turbo-boosters must end its move at least 18" from its starting point to claim this cover save" - as far as I can tell, this means that the unit should end up 18" or more away from the board edge it came in from (as the movement is measured from the edge of the battlefield, not a particular point on that edge).
    The problem with this is that it prevents all movement from any table edge. If you are considered to be moving from the entire edge, as opposed to an exact point, then no move would ever be legal for any model.

You could only ever measure the distance from one point to another, not one point to a line, as not all points on the line are equidistant from the point in question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    The problem with this is that it prevents all movement from any table edge. If you are considered to be moving from the entire edge, as opposed to an exact point, then no move would ever be legal for any model.

You could only ever measure the distance from one point to another, not one point to a line, as not all points on the line are equidistant from the point in question.
    Except by definition the distance between a point A (the mini in this case) and a line R (the table edge) is the distance between that point A and the point B closest to point A that is part of line R.

Erm, yeah, sorry about that.

From what has been said, it seems RAW you can't do that.

EDIT: I would allow it, however, representing they came in fast.
    Last edited by Lemt; September 17th, 2009 at 17:14.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    Except by definition the distance between a point A (the mini in this case) and a line R (the table edge) is the distance between that point A and the point B closest to point A that is part of line R.
    But then we've just defined an actual point of origin, but somehow restricted the movement of the models to a path exactly perpendicular to the board edge; this is something I definitely don't see in the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so bottom line, it's all legal? and lets say cheesy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

What exactly makes this "cheesy?" It's perfectly legal and doesn't gain any huge benefit the player wouldn't otherwise have. If anything, moving close to the board edge like that usually puts you farther away from where you need to be in the next turn.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast