Power Weapons Assaulting Vehicles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was playing a charge through mission last night, oponent defends the line that i am trying to cross to leave the field. We had limited the game to four turns, and all i managed to get off the field was an empty rhino!

Anyway on my last turn it was a case of cause as much damage as possible and go for the points - the dice god did not see fit to grant me this, although they did grant me pathetic roles from my opponent as well!

So with a six man squad of Blood claws i assaulted a terminator from the front - not the cleverst idea but i had no choice as that is where i ended up. All the weapons i was carrying were useless against its armour of 12, but i did have a powerfist amongst them, but neither i or my opponenet could find anything saying how you assault a dreadnaught and what effect a powerfist or power weapon would be capable of doing. We both understood that power weapons ignore armour saves, but how does this work against vehicles?

(as an excuse neither of us are experienced gamers, he used to play 2nd edition rules for a long time, and is now learning 3rd edition, just before 4th edition comes out to help reacquaint himself. and me this was only my third game ever, so it was a lot of checking the rules.)

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK first one, at the begining of your second para you charded a terminator, I assume you mean dreadnaught?

So your Q is how do you damage a dread with power weapons/power fist?

The new rules put a slant on this based on overall combat resolution, but specifically with power weapons and power fists:

roll to hit as normal in close combat (WS vs the WS of the dreadnaught)

for those hits that suceed, you roll to penetrate/glance as per any other vehicle using the strength of the attacker - this means that the power weapons are probably useless, but the power fist can do the job.

Roll the damage against a vehicle based on the outcome of the penetration as in the rule book

note in the turn you charge you cna only get the front armour of the dread
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for that.

Admittedly next time we play, i will make sure i have grenades and meltabombs with my men, to make assaulting a vehicle/dred that much easier!

Ah what can i say, we found the rules for that at the end of the game. Newbs, who'd play them?! Know nothing fools. I can say all this because i am one!
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

though krakgrenades and meltabombs aren't that effectieve against walkers as they only hit on a 6 regardless of WS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but at least it gives me some more options, rather than just charging down a dred/vehicle, and then moving into assault and realising in a squad of 6 men, i've only got one chance at taking it out, 6 chances at hitting a 6 is better than none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Actually, if you want to take down a walker in close combat, the only really effective route is the powerfist or better still the thunder hammer, you use the rest of the squad as a meat shield for the guy with the hammer/fist (uless of course you play death wing in which case you tend to be littered with power fists, chain fists and thunder hammers
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I get the assault v dreadnaught, buth this means even if a marine rolls a 6 plus his strength his highest score would only be a 10, OK if your always assaulting the rear of a vehicle, but useless elsewhere.
    If I had a chainfist, thunderhammer, lightening claws, or powerfist, or any power waepon the only advantage against a dreadnaought or a vehicle is that I get one extra attack, to actually do any damage it goes on my S+d6, this cant be right can it? Or am I totally off base here?

(Oh, I'm the one who Jodfrey played against who has played 2nd ed for ages and is only starting to play 3rd & 4th because everyone else I game with has converted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that it is a power weapon means nothing for vehicle armor. The "power" rating to ignore armor applies only to personal armor and adds no advantage to attacks on vehicles. So a power sword is useless, S+D6 won't penetrate anything and only glances a couple things with a lucky six. Lightening claws are the same.

Some of the other weapons you spoke of, power fist and chain fist, do work well against vehicles. Its because they increase the strength of the user. It's still S+D6, but now you're working with a much higher S. Also, some of them have added benefits, chain fist's added penetration and thunder hammer's stunning ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in other words, it was a pointless assault as all i would be doing is maybe dinging the paintwork?

Hmmm think i will have to keep an eye out for weaker vehicles to attack, or at least go for the weak points, and of course use grenades and melta bombs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the other weapons you spoke of, power fist and chain fist, do work well against vehicles. Its because they increase the strength of the user. It's still S+D6, but now you're working with a much higher S. Also, some of them have added benefits, chain fist's added penetration and thunder hammer's stunning ability.

Thanks for that, but where is this info on the chain fist and thunderhammer? I looked in the rule book, but none were there.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast