Cover saves from squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover saves from squads

Okay. Yes or no,

Is it legal?
    Is it a valid tactic?
    Is it unsporting?

Okay, Me and a friend played Guard and Marines verses 2 tyranid players. When i moved up a squad of ten men and he moved up a squad, we hid behind "Eachother" to try and benefit from a 4+ cover save for both of us. If it doesnt make sense try and look at this crude diagram

(G) (G) (G) (G) (G) (S) (S) (S) (S) (S)
    (S) (S) (S) (S) (S) (G) (G) (G) (G) (G)

(S) = Space marine
    (G) = Guard

So the rules say that if your shooting at a squad behind another they get a 4+ cover save, and because both squads are "Technically" behind eachother does this work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Yes it's legal. I see this checker board thing done mostly with Tyranid lists.

As a not you have to move every model in one squad before moving the next and you can't go back to the previous squad if all of a sudden the aren't giving each other cover saves. At the same time I think you would be giving your opponent a cover save as you each unit is shooting through another.

Here is the issue. Most people (myself included) think that it's a dick move to checker board and against the spirit of the game. If you plan on using it in a tournament, expect to get a nice ZERO on your sportsmanship score.

On the other hand there are people like me who would slap you upside the head, walk away, and find a new opponent.

Sorry to be harsh, but crap like this is a pet peeve of mine.
    Last edited by Hockeyman506; November 5th, 2009 at 04:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that it might be legal, but very unsporting, so i guess i was right, i wouldnt properly do it because as space marines, the one thing i dont wanna do is group a load together waiting for a blast template. But legal still can could prove useful at times

+ Reply to Thread