Look for help on how to handle missions with three players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Look for help on how to handle missions with three players

OK, on Monday there is a good chance that three of us will be itching to throw some dice. I have played a couple three way missions before, but it tend to get lopsided very quickly. Are there any rules that people know of to regulate things like turn order and such? The best that I can find is the mission in the rule book under the campaign section that details a mission for three players, but that is really the only info I can find so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played the one in the rule book. Its ok, but not really the best. We tried a 3-way game once where there were objectives in the middle and each player's deployment zone. In addition to that, if you killed the player to your left's HQ (target's choice of which HQ to nominate), your got an objective point. It kind of helped a bit with not having 2 people gang up on each other.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

how would you do turn order? I was thinking that after the first person went that the other two would dice off and the winner would go second. For the person who goes last gets to go first in the next turn and then the other two dice off. I am also thinking of using one of the missions in the cities of death book with the use of strategems.

Another thing....How did you handle deployment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just went clockwise around for turn sequence. We tried the turn order from the mission in the 40k rule book, but found that going last and then first in the next turn (thus giving you 2 turns in a row) was too powerful.

Deployment we followed the 40k rule book for one and then the other we just let people pick a location on the table with 12" of an edge and more than 24" away from any other player.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ZMB View Post
    OK, on Monday there is a good chance that three of us will be itching to throw some dice. I have played a couple three way missions before, but it tend to get lopsided very quickly. Are there any rules that people know of to regulate things like turn order and such? The best that I can find is the mission in the rule book under the campaign section that details a mission for three players, but that is really the only info I can find so far.

Honestly I would simply ally two players together into one force (say each allied player had 1000 points each) against the one opponent who has 2000 points.

This is shed loads easier to play than allowing shooting into combat like the book directs you to in 3 player games.

And try one of the special missions from 4th Ed like Ambush page 206 or Strong Point Attack page 207 where you can split the allied forces into opposite sides of the table and place your larger defender in the center. Or even the reverse with Breakout page 213.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

would the two allied players go at the same time (in the same turn) or would each player have his or hers own respective turns in which to do what they wish?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ZMB View Post
    would the two allied players go at the same time (in the same turn) or would each player have his or hers own respective turns in which to do what they wish?
    The two allied players would claim there own units from the one Force organisation chart (so no doubling up on HQ's or anything weird) and simply play the one turn alternating the order move, shoot and assault for their respective units.

So it might be the Allies that move first, allie A moves one of his units, then allie B moves one of hers and repeat until all movement has been completed, then proceed onto the shooting phase alternating between owned units. Then it moves onto the single players turn.

Note - no swapping ownership between allied units during the game..

And normally there must be a great deal of conversation (and confusion) going on between the Allies about what to do during the game so if you are the player of the larger single force just sit back and laugh during all of this - it really is entertaining and no secrets can possibly be with held by them!

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

When my friends and I play 3-way matches, we do it one of two ways: 2 v 1 or a triangle board. The 2 v 1 just follows standard match setup, but the triangle board is a bit different.

We decide on a side length for all three sides, usually 4 feet, but it can change depending on game size. To determine who goes first, we all three roll dice. Highest gets to chose first, second, or third, and then the next highest chooses from the remaining two spot, and the lowest is stuck. Then, The person who is going first chooses a table corner, and he/she may deploy their models up to 12" from that corner. Second person deploys, then third. Objectives are easily modified to be used with three people, and kill points needs no modification.

It doesn't work quite as well as a regular match, but it does add an interesting twist to your games. Good luck with your match, and I hope this helped!

EDIT: Just read Wicky's post. That's exactly what my friends and I do for our 2 v 1 games.
    Last edited by Subsocial; December 20th, 2009 at 22:41.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem with 2v1 ive encountered, is that if the 2 are not the same army. Then you have 2 strong parts of different armies on one side. EX. IG and Orkz on one side.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cenedar View Post
    The only problem with 2v1 ive encountered, is that if the 2 are not the same army. Then you have 2 strong parts of different armies on one side. EX. IG and Orkz on one side.
    Ah yes this is very true but when all three players come ready to play a 2000 point (or similar) game then the opponents will not mix and match forces, they can simply divide the one complete army into two and general each half accordingly.

But if forced to play against “2 strong parts of different armies on one side,” I would allow a compensating extra Elite choice for the lone commander, this obviously will take some agreement prior to the game starting.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread