How does the Waaagh! work - is it in addition to Running or instead of Running - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the Waaagh! work - is it in addition to Running or instead of Running

Greetings

I’ve been playing Orks for a little while now and find the Waaagh! rules (Ork Codex (OC) p 31)
    Quite confusing. Some much so that I tend to ignore them and get on with the game using the Shooting vs Running rules from the 5th Ed Rule book . Next week however I will be facing a 2500pth Tau army lead by Commander Farsight and I figure I’m going to need to maximise every advantage I have so I need to understand the Waaagh! Rules better.

I’ve done a quick search of the site and it has returned very few hits – so I apologise if this is ground already covered.

So my question is – what does Waaagh! actually do?

I understand my guys get “fleet of foot” OC p 31 but I find the “ … rolls a 1 when making Waaagh! movement” bit confusing. Is this just my normal ‘run roll’ or do I get an extra D6 Waaagh! move in the turn I call a Waaagh!. ie

Assuming its turn 2 and I call a Waaagh! do my boys:

a) Move 6”, Shoot / Waaagh! D6”, Assault 6” = max distance 18”
    b) Move 6”, Shoot / Run D6”, Waaagh! D6”, Assault 6” = max distance 24”

I look forward to your replies

Armies (W/L/D)
    Imperial Guard: 2500pts 10/0/1, Space Marines: 2000pts 22/0/3
    CSM: 1750pts 5/0/0, DE: 1850pts 19/0/1, ORKs: 2500pts 11/1/0,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Waagh! gives you fleet. This allows you to assault after making a Run move. As far as I'm aware this is all it does.

In 4th Fleet was basically the Run rule, so Waagh! had more effect. Now it's more like everyone has 4th ed Fleet, so you're not getting anything very special.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    In 4th Fleet was basically the Run rule, so Waagh! had more effect. Now it's more like everyone has 4th ed Fleet, so you're not getting anything very special.
    That's not quite true; very few armies (with the exception of Shrike-led Marines, some 'Nids units, and the two Eldar armies off the top of my head) have Fleet, therefore may Run but not assault. With the Waagh! rule, your Orks can then assault after running, which is normally prohibited. That's a pretty nice advantage, to be honest, even if they aren't moving any additional inches in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    That's not quite true; very few armies (with the exception of Shrike-led Marines, some 'Nids units, and the two Eldar armies off the top of my head) have Fleet, therefore may Run but not assault. With the Waagh! rule, your Orks can then assault after running, which is normally prohibited. That's a pretty nice advantage, to be honest, even if they aren't moving any additional inches in the process.
    I know. It's just that the important part (in 4th) was the extra movement, so Fleet itself was somewhat reduced.

Fleet is really most useful for getting first-turn charges with certain armies, like Shrike Marines, and since Orks can't Waagh! in the first turn that's mostly negligible. I mean, still good - just not as good.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread