Eldar Warlock powers - must or may? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar Warlock powers - must or may?

Hey all, I did a search but couldn't spot this, apologies if I'm being dense.

on Pg. 27 of my Eldar Codex when explaining the rules for Warlocks, under Warlock Powers it states each Warlock must be given a power. This makes sense, not much of a Warlock if you don't have any power.

Then, on Pg. 60 in the army list for Warlocks it says each Warlock may buy one of the powers at whatever cost.

So at one point it says they must have a power, then it contradicts itself by using may and implying we don't have to buy one. Is this an oversight, and a Warlock must have a power? Personally, that's how I'd go with it, but I can imagine if you're trying to skimp on points you can try to leave some Warlocks in your Seer Council power-less?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

I've just looked at P.27 and P.60 of my copy of the Codex Eldar and the word "may" is used on both occasions. I wonder: is your copy a second printing/edition? Mine was purchased on the day of release in 2006. If you open your copy and check the page where all the credits, index and so forth are shown, does it say "Second Edition" or "Second Printing" anywhere below the "Produced by Games Workshop" sentence? If so, then this could explain why there is a difference between your copy and mine.

Farseers have a "must" in both entries, but it would seem that it is not obligatory for you to buy a psychic power for a Warlock, since the word "may" is used.

As you say though - why on earth would you take a Warlock and not give him a psychic power?

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Witchblade.

Makes the unit handy against tanks. But you're right, even just taking embolden shouldn't stretch the budget.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, mine says 'must' on page 27 and 'may' on page 60 too. So I dunno. 25 points for a naked warlock sounds pretty appealing to me though.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

It looks as if the later printings have changed the P.27 "may" to "must". I wonder - did they forget to update P.60 from 'may' to 'must' as well?

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread