Customizing my Space Marine Chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customizing my Space Marine Chapter

Hey there,

I'm pretty new to warhammer 40k and like most beginners I've picked up the Space Marines

I've read up a LOT about them so far and I have the new 5th edition codex and I'm more than ready to put together an army.

Basically my army is a little something like this:

Vortex Sabers (debating on changing "vortex" to "phoenix")

Branded Heretics by the Imperium due to their belief that humans deserve to live freely and without suffering in the new ages.

Beliefs: The Emperor is a rotting corpse and the people should no longer have to live under his dictatorship, nor should they have to be sacrificed in order to sustain his golden throne. (in a nutshell)

Think Martin Luther and his 95 theses. They believe the Imperium has gone too far and want to change it for the better.

Primarch: Their primarch is one "Okysho Kenyaku" a time traveler with demigod powers and a goddess' manifestation of arcane fury in physical form.

Okysho fought along side the chapter master Keno (force commander at this point) before the Sabers were established. He showed the commander the peace in his time ear (the 2000s) and first inspired the belief of change within the Sabers.
    During the defense of the Sabers (not yet sabers) planet, Okysho took to the field nearly obliterating the enemy with nothing but a sword. The marine company in battle didn't lost a single man. He then disappeared into time.

Due to his amazing fighting capabiities, the Commander and the other marine witnesses to Okysho's power believed him to be one of the Emperor's lost primarchs and the Commander had a geneseed created.

Ok there's a good reason I posted the fluff in a nutshell (if you could call that a nutshell)

I'm trying to build my chapter as much as I can based around this fluff, but the 5th edition rules are restricting me too much.

I've long heard about the "true grit" special rule and originally had planned to use it, because it matched the fluff 150%. (The Primarch's ability to fell so many enemies with not but a blade inspired the marines to carry with them, swords into battle in addition to their bolters).

The dilemma is that True Grit is no longer a universal special rule.

Can there be an alternative to getting around this rule? This rule is 150% compatible with my fluff and without it I can't see my backstory fitting any other way. Is there some way I can give my Marines a close combat weapon (sword) in addition to them using their bolters with the addition of the close combat bonus? (isn't it +1 to attack? with a leadership check or something?)

In addition to that, I wanted to check if this was considered "legal"

Chapter master of the Salamanders has a special rule that says "as long as he's on the field, replace combat tactics with chapter tactics: all thunderhammers are relic blades and all flame based weapons (flamers heavy flamers, meltas multi meltas) are twin linked. (remember that "manifestation of arcane fury" bit?)

Because NONE of my marines are using thunder hammers (they believe purely in the sword) can I alter the rule to say "power sword" rather than thunder hammer?

I also need some help thinking up a colour scheme.

Thanks so much in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Okysho View Post
    Is there some way I can give my Marines a close combat weapon (sword) in addition to them using their bolters with the addition of the close combat bonus? (isn't it +1 to attack? with a leadership check or something?)
    You could just play Chaos Marines instead. Most CSM infantry are equipped with boltgun, boltpistol, and close combat weapon. (You did say they were "heretics"...)

Quote Originally Posted by Okysho View Post
    In addition to that, I wanted to check if this was considered "legal"

Chapter master of the Salamanders has a special rule that says "as long as he's on the field, replace combat tactics with chapter tactics: all thunderhammers are relic blades and all flame based weapons (flamers heavy flamers, meltas multi meltas) are twin linked. (remember that "manifestation of arcane fury" bit?)

Because NONE of my marines are using thunder hammers (they believe purely in the sword) can I alter the rule to say "power sword" rather than thunder hammer?
    No, this is not legal. When reading Codex books, only what is actually present is legal. Keep in mind, that you may modify or create your own rules for non-tournament games, but even this is subject to your opponent's approval. As you are new to the game, I suggest you focus on learning the basic game for the time being.

You'll notice that we have a 40k Fluff section just above the Rules forum, this would be a great place to get advice/criticism on your fluff. There's also the Painting section further up. Both of these topics can also be more specifically discussed in the Army section appropriate to your army.

And Welcome to LO!
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Honestly it looks like Chaos Marines would probably suit you fluff the best. Though if you wanted to stay with a marine codex, how about Black Templars (or Blood Angels when they come out). Black Templars aren't the most competitive, but they have some good builds and are fairly fluffy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Hockeyman506,
    chaos space marines would work much better with your fluff and they would give you close combat weapons.
    However, if you are only planning on playing close friends then you might be able to create a profile for your chapter master that allows you troops to carry close combat weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm... I see, thanks for all your input.

I'll have to research the Black Templars then and see if I can fit my stuff to make a sub-chapter from them (the original Sabers chapter I haven't decided on yet)

I also didn't know Chaos were that much more versatile in equipment. I don't know much about Chaos besides the fact that they're satanic. One of the reasons I avoided them was purely because of that. My Sabers aren't crazy and satanic. They're regular space marines who believe in humanity rather than the emperor and I don't really want those Chaos drawbacks which will potentially twist things more out of proportion than I have it in my mind.

but like I said I don't know much about Chaos.

... sigh and I just bought a SM codex too....

If anyone could shed some light on how I can customize my chapter better (whether in CSM or just SM codex), I'd really appreciate it. Seeing as how I know nothing about Chaos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i miss 3rd edition codex with all the custom rules that are in the codex so you can make a chapter that the opponet dosent have to agree with
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Okysho, not all Chaos Space Marines worship daemons. You might look at some of the Undivided Legions, such as: Night Lords or Alpha Legion. Heck, you could even make a renegade Chaos chapter, which has only recently abandoned the emperor (and thus, still adheres to much of the Space Marine appearance). There's a decent amount of fluff for that in the latest Chaos Codex. The only real distinction would be either an icon or shoulder pad, which would have the mark of chaos or your own mark. Really, there's not much you can't do when it comes to fluff and conversion .
    Last edited by Rabbit; January 30th, 2010 at 17:16.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread