Spore Mine Cysts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Spore Mine Cysts

A question about the Spore Mine Cysts biomorph that the Harpy has.

In the codex is say: "nominate any enemy model that the Harpy moved over in the Movement phase and roll...".

My question is: does deep striking counts as moving over? In other words. Can I, during the turn I deep striked, use the Spire Mine Cysts to blast an enemy unit.

I'd say yes, but I'd love to get your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

eh, no.
    you cannot move the turn you deepstrike. If you land on enemy troops you need to roll on mishap. If you did not land on Enemy, then you have not flown over them.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Lord View Post
    My question is: does deep striking counts as moving over? In other words. Can I, during the turn I deep striked, use the Spire Mine Cysts to blast an enemy unit.
    What units could it have moved over? I don't have my book handy, but I'm pretty certain deep strike (or scattering) isn't ever defined as an actual movement. I believe it just says the model may not make a move and counts as moving for the purposes of shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Yes I know you can't make an actual move after deep striking. What I'm mostly interested in is, why does it not count as moving over? Technically deep striking counts as the movement of the unit for that turn right?
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Lord View Post
    Yes I know you can't make an actual move after deep striking. What I'm mostly interested in is, why does it not count as moving over? Technically deep striking counts as the movement of the unit for that turn right?
    I'm fairly certain the rules don't ever state Deep Striking itself counts as movement or is a movement in of itself, just that you can't make any moves afterwards and count as moving for shooting purposes. Even if it does, all your "move" has amounted to is appearing in place-- what units have you moved over?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Not really, if it does count as your move it would resemble you having flown over a part of the battlefield and landing somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    I'm fairly certain the rules don't ever state Deep Striking itself counts as movement or is a movement in of itself, just that you can't make any moves afterwards and count as moving for shooting purposes. Even if it does, all your "move" has amounted to is appearing in place-- what units have you moved over?
    Yeah, it's basically either one of three options: For things like Terminators, they've teleported in and simply appeared out of thin air - no actual lateral movement.

Assault Marines, Harpies, Swooping Hawks and such have dropped in from orbit or high altitude, which amounts to movement straight down... Again, no lateral movement.

And burrowing things like the Trygon/Mawloc do the same thing but from below ground. Upwards movement, but nothing from side to side.

To put it logically, in order to move "over" a particular target, you need to start on one side and finish on the other side. Thus necessitating both a starting point and an end point. The end point is clear, but when you deep strike, there is no starting point - you can't just say that they came from everywhere and then pick a target at random!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    To put it logically, in order to move "over" a particular target, you need to start on one side and finish on the other side. Thus necessitating both a starting point and an end point. The end point is clear, but when you deep strike, there is no starting point - you can't just say that they came from everywhere and then pick a target at random!
    That's really the crux of it. While it might make sense fluff-wise to characterize a Harpy or Valkyrie's deep strike as making a high-speed maneuver over the battlefield, mechanically that's not what it is. It's just you appearing on the table in one spot. Otherwise, much as Wraith pointed out, you could deep strike on one end of the table and claim to have "flown over" an opponent in the opposite corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Fair enough. Thanks to the both of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an effective comparison look at the rules that Eldar Swooping Hawks have for using their grenades as they deepstrike. The rules explain very clearly that this can be done and the same doesn't apply to the harpy.

Another point that I think was overlooked was "...during the movement phase..". Deepstrike has nothing to do with the movement phase. *stops beating dead horse*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast