Charging from a Drop Pod?!!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Charging from a Drop Pod?!!!!

Now this is going to sound stupid but can you charge from a drop pod?

Let me explain. I was reading through my space marine codex to generally clarify the rules in my head. When I reached the drop pod section I noticed something strange. The rules say that the unit counts as disembarking from the drop pod and does not mention the unit itself to have deep-striked (which would therefore mean they could charge). Now this woudn't matter as the drop pod counts as moving when it deepstrikes (I think) so you woudn't be able to charge after disembarkment anyway. However, when the drop pod lands it counts as open-topped, and you can charge out of a open-topped vehicle even after it has moved.

I checked the FAQ and there was no mention of this. Now to me it feels wrong but the rules seem to say it can. However I have probably missed something in the main rulebook which counteracts it.

If you can then drop pods are actually the best vehicle in the game and this seems overpowered. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

The unit is still arriving via deepstrike, so without a special rule that says otherwise, they are unable to assault the turn they arrive.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

But tactical marines can't deep-strike, and the pod doesn't give a unit the deep-strike special rule. It is a transport that they travel in and then disembark. Nowhere does it say that the guys inside deep-strike. Only the pod has the deep-strike special rule. Thats the weird thing.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

This has been argued over quite a lot in the past. I think it was the 4th edition Codex: Dark Angels that classified the drop pod as open-topped without also including a rule that units arriving via drop pods may not assault on the turn they land. This has quickly been corrected in a FAQ. The need to correct this for 5th edition Codex: Space Marines is not given, because the rules on drop pods already include this restriction. Read the drop pod assault special rule on page 69 in Codex: Space Marines. The last sentence says that units arriving in pods may not assault on the turn they land.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Oh yes, I must have missed it because it was under drop pod assualt and not just the special rules. Thanks Red Archer.

Shame though, it could've been so cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sancraer View Post
    Oh yes, I must have missed it because it was under drop pod assualt and not just the special rules. Thanks Red Archer.

Shame though, it could've been so cool.
    If by cool you mean horribly unbalanced It's bad enough with Lucius Pattern Drop Pods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

You can't assault by virtue of having disembarked from a moving transport, not by virtue of having Deep Struck.

Which is heavily ironic in Planetstrike, which has a special rule allowing units with Deep Strike to assault the turn they land. Drop pod units can't do this, as only the pod has the deep strike rule. The unit you want to assault with doesn't. Kind of makes the whole concept of a drop pod planetstrike entirely gimped.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

We just need special Transformers Rules where Drop Pods can turn into Dreadnaughts...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Which is heavily ironic in Planetstrike, which has a special rule allowing units with Deep Strike to assault the turn they land. Drop pod units can't do this, as only the pod has the deep strike rule. The unit you want to assault with doesn't. Kind of makes the whole concept of a drop pod planetstrike entirely gimped.
    They can't do it because the Planetstrike rules specifically says you can't assault out of a drop pod.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

you can't assault from a non assault vehicle in the turn it's moved. so no. In my opinion.
    (scurries off to check that drop pods count as having moved when they arrive)

edit: doesn't say they do count as having moved, but in p69 of the marine codex it does say, under drop pods that units deep strikes via drop pod may not assault the turn it arrives.

I'd let my opponent do it in planetstrike, but that's my own opinion and no-where stated as such. in fact, the FAQ for planetstrike says read and play as per codex, and it's even mentioned as a example, so the restriction's still there.
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; February 20th, 2010 at 00:42.

+ Reply to Thread