Big Hard Cover Rulebook vs little book? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Hard Cover Rulebook vs little book?

Hello, I was wondering if there was any difference between these two books or are they exactly the same? Also I had another random question. Are most games played on a 4x6 or 6x4 board? I play orks and ppl complain when they face me on a 4x6. We just started playing so we just play to kill each other and soon hope to get into missions very soon. Thank you for your time -a newb

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no differance between the little book from assault on black reach and the big hardcover rule book. As long as your not playing tournment i usally dont worry about game board size. There is no regulation size game tables unless a tournment says you can only use 6 X4 or 4X6 or any other size.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox151 View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if there was any difference between these two books or are they exactly the same? Also I had another random question. Are most games played on a 4x6 or 6x4 board? I play orks and ppl complain when they face me on a 4x6. We just started playing so we just play to kill each other and soon hope to get into missions very soon. Thank you for your time -a newb
    Hi mate,
    The only difference that I am aware of is the addition of background story beyond page 95 and the inclusion of non standard games and their attendant rules e.g. 3 way games and its shooting into combat!

A 6X4 table is only 'recommended' in two deployment types 'Pitched Battle" and 'Spearhead.' So its not a hard and fast rule but please bear in mind that if you vary it too much then certain armies start to suffer from the different distances involved. The game flows much better if its contained within a 6X4 arena - larger tables really require more game turns to get around on.

Why would other players complain about the use of the recommended size table being used? I assume that they want it larger when facing an assault based horde army and if they insist unreasonably then perhaps you could react by insist on adding an inch to your charge distance to compensate for this!

Anyway, its just a recommendation and a good at that.

Cheers, Wicky.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help, Im assuming you ment that a 4x6 table flows better. The problem is they just started playing. I have been playing since the late 90's I just took a very long break long break and we have been buttn heads on the rules.. The last time I played was when the huge arrmagedon thing was going on. They have changed alot and im not sure if im enjoying the new fast vehicle rules. Who honestly has ever built an actual road on thier game board? How am I supposed to survive a fight to the last man on a 6x4 table moving 18" at a time with one pivot only?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox151 View Post
    Thanks for the help, Im assuming you ment that a 4x6 table flows better. The problem is they just started playing. I have been playing since the late 90's I just took a very long break long break and we have been buttn heads on the rules.. The last time I played was when the huge arrmagedon thing was going on. They have changed alot and im not sure if im enjoying the new fast vehicle rules. Who honestly has ever built an actual road on thier game board? How am I supposed to survive a fight to the last man on a 6x4 table moving 18" at a time with one pivot only?
    Not only does the game flow better but you can physically reach items and measure distances, check blast templates and line of sight soooo much easier on a standard 6X4 table.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

So they're complaining at fighting you with the long edges as deployment zones, because your orks get to them too quickly? Sadly for them that's the best way to play the game, because otherwise orks and nids would seriously struggle and tau/shooty armies would have a massive advantage.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Unless everything in the Tyranid army is in a drop pod or is a Trygon, and the Ork army in its entirety is mounted in trukks or similar contrivances.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

You can also keep a large board balanced for ranged vs. assault by:

1. Lessening the area between deployment zones (a.k.a. no man's land)
    2. Adding more terrain that blocks line of sight.
    3. Using missions with Night Fighting rules.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

A small point to be aware of, it may of just been a miss print in the 2 copys i have around, but one of the tables in the summary section is wrong in the small book (to hit i think)

As i said might just be mine, but watch out for it.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

+ Reply to Thread