Gernades Gernades Gernades - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, i really need some help with nades, i have no idea how to use them, all i know is that there sort a like an ability thats it. can you throw em out windows? can you chuck em over walls? how do you assasult with them? can someone please help me ? it would be greatly appreciated :thumbs_up:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First lets move this to the proper forum. Rules Help would be the place to ask such questions.

You can find the rules on the primary types of GRENADES on page 39 of the 4th ed. rule book. Essentially they affect the benefits of cover when you use them during assault. There are also a number of special grenades, (photon, haywire, etc) that have special abilities. Those are detailed in the wargear descriptions of the codex for each army that may take them.

The main thing to get out of your mind is throwing. Grenades are not thrown in 40k rules, but convey a particular advantage to the unit using them, such as a higher strength against vehicles, defeat enemy cover advantage, temporarily blind enemies so they loose attacks, etc. Each grenade has a special ability detailed under its description.

As Tonya Tau stated in your other copy of this thread, the grenades give the unit the ability automatically. You don't have to DO anything. If you buy the grenades you have the ability the grenade gives the unit.

Unless purchased by a character, you must pay for a grenade for EVERY member of the unit. For example if a grenade type costs you 3, and you have a 6 man squad, you must pay 18 points for grenades for the entire squad. If a character that does not have these grenades joins the squad, they do not get to use the ability and vice-versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm...okk. i think i understand some of it now. for the exception of one thing. how can you NOT throw gernades, i mean you buy them for every character in a unit, and they get an ability?

umm... for example a tau carbine has a photon attachment on it. how would i use that or do i not us it, i get an ability?
    please clairify

Oh and i dont have a rule book, well i do but its like 5 years old and in real bad shape(alot of pages missing probably cuse i found it in a recycle bin. i cant get any real good info from it. :thumbs_up:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Oh and i dont have a rule book, well i do but its like 5 years old and in real bad shape(alot of pages missing probably cuse i found it in a recycle bin. i cant get any real good info from it.
    And we should tell you the rules why? No one minds clarifying, but you don't even HAVE them (an effective version of them, at least).

Also, it's gRenades, not geRnades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Think of it this way:

Grenades in 40K are NOT weapons (with the exception of Krak, Haywire, EMP and even they can only be used against vehicles in assault.)
    This means they CANNOT be thrown, or even used in any way. All they do is confer an advantage or ability onto a unit which is assaulting.

Its kinda hard to explain what all the diferent ones do. But for the time being (until you buy a functioning rulebook, which i do suggest you invest in.) Ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Desslock@Sep 8 2004, 222
    ummm...okk. i think i understand some of it now. for the exception of one thing. how can you NOT throw gernades, i mean you buy them for every character in a unit, and they get an ability?
    [snapback]210087[/snapback]
    You need to consider the difference between the story (fluff, explanation, etc) and the game rules. In the story, troops throw the grenades at the enemy to stun them, keep their heads down, etc. Or else they throw them under a vehicle, attach them to a dreadnought, etc. This gives them and advantage of some type in combat.

The rules skip all the details about throwing them and just give the unit the advantage the comes from the result of using grenades. GW considers it too complicated to add rules for throwing, how far, how do you hit, scatter, etc. so they don't mess around with them. Its easier just to say if you use grenade X you get ability X.

On a related topic, get a rulebook. The one you have is out of date and the rules are no longer the right ones. This hobby is not cheap, so if you can afford to buy the models you can afford to buy the rulebook. It is also against the forum rules to ask us to supply you with rulebook information. We will help you understand any questions you may have about the rules, but we will not give them to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while on the topic of grenades, whilst it mentions haywire grenades in the new rulebook, i can't find the rules for them in it ( unlike all the other types) am i being blind? pls could u give me the pg number there on or just let me know if there the same as in 3rd ed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

They follow their Codex rules...

Only the Grenades which got their stats changed a bit are found in the 4thEd rulebook.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Closed Thread