Nobz & Wound allocation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobz & Wound allocation

Hi,

This has puzzled me and my friends somewhat and I'm sure that this has been asked before, alas I couldn't find a thread so I'll post a new one.

The question is about Nobz (with 2 wounds each) and how to allocate wounds against them. Now I know it says wounds have to be spread evenly in a squad, so that no model can receive (or to be more precise, be allocated) a second wound before all other have one. It also says something about allocating wounds on multi-wound model squads, more specifically that you must allocate wounds so that a maximum number of models are removed from play.

Example: Nob squad of 10 receives 10 wounds. Are you left with 10 models with 1 wound each, or 5 models with 2 wounds each?? Let's say for flavors sake that they all have slightly different wargear.

Last edited by Weazel; March 12th, 2010 at 11:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After how i read the rules and how the question is said, i ould say that you are left whit 10 models whit 1 wound each. But ofc i can be wrong.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

This wholly depends on what those Nobs are armed with. You must allocate wounds to each 'set' of models armed differently. For example:

Example 1
    We have 10 Nobz, all with Pistol/CCW.
    This unit takes 3 wounds. You remove 1 Nob (2 Wounds) and place the last wound on another (1 Wound). All armour saves are taken together and you may not allocate wounds.

Example 2
    We have 10 Nobz. 8 have Pistol/CCW, 1 has Pistol/PK and 1 has Combi-Skorcha.
    This unit takes 3 wounds. Since there are 3 'sets', you allocate evenly among them. So put one wound on the Skorcha, one wound on the PK and one wound on a CCW Nob.
    If this unit took 6 wounds, you would still put 1 on the Skorcha, 1 on the PK and 4 on the CCW's.

Example 3
    We have 10 Nobz. All are armed differently.
    This unit takes 3 wounds. You may now allocate one each to any model you choose. You don't start doubling up on Wounds until each model has been allocated one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove View Post
    This wholly depends on what those Nobs are armed with. You must allocate wounds to each 'set' of models armed differently. For example:

Example 1
    We have 10 Nobz, all with Pistol/CCW.
    This unit takes 3 wounds. You remove 1 Nob (2 Wounds) and place the last wound on another (1 Wound). All armour saves are taken together and you may not allocate wounds.

Example 2
    We have 10 Nobz. 8 have Pistol/CCW, 1 has Pistol/PK and 1 has Combi-Skorcha.
    This unit takes 3 wounds. Since there are 3 'sets', you allocate evenly among them. So put one wound on the Skorcha, one wound on the PK and one wound on a CCW Nob.
    If this unit took 6 wounds, you would still put 1 on the Skorcha, 1 on the PK and 4 on the CCW's.

Example 3
    We have 10 Nobz. All are armed differently.
    This unit takes 3 wounds. You may now allocate one each to any model you choose. You don't start doubling up on Wounds until each model has been allocated one.
    Rep for you, good sir!

I assume that in example 2 the 4 wounds against the CCW would cause 2 models to be removed?

Also, do you always have to spread evenly between "groups" ? Say you have 10 marines, 8 with bolter, one with powerfist and one sarge. You can't just put all the wounds on the bolter guys (if less than 8 wounds are inflicted), but rather 1 each for the powerfist and sarge as well?

I have to say that wound allocation has been the most puzzling addition in 5th ed after a longish break in the game.
    Last edited by Weazel; March 12th, 2010 at 13:54.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Weazel View Post
    I assume that in example 2 the 4 wounds against the CCW would cause 2 models to be removed?
    Correct. If they were armed differently, you could place 1 wound on each of them. But because they are all armed the same, that 'group' rolls it's armour saves as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazel View Post
    Also, do you always have to spread evenly between "groups" ? Say you have 10 marines, 8 with bolter, one with powerfist and one sarge. You can't just put all the wounds on the bolter guys (if less than 8 wounds are inflicted), but rather 1 each for the powerfist and sarge as well?
    Not quite. Sorry, when I said "you do this" it was just an example of what you could do.

Let's say you have: 10 Marines. 8 Bolters, 1 Powerfist, 1 Flamer.
    You suffer 6 wounds. There are three 'sets' in this squad. You can choose to allocate them all to Set 1 (8 Bolters) if you like, and they would roll all the saves together. If you had to put them evenly across each set that would be 2 on PF, 2 on Fl and 2 on Bolters - that would be grossly unfair!

To illustrate the difference in how wound allocation can work in your favour here's a good example:

Scenario 1
    5 Assault Terminators. 2 TH/SS, 3 LC.
    This unit takes 6 wounds from Boltguns and 2 wounds from Meltaguns. Since there are two sets, you split them up like so: TH/SS (2 Meltagun), LC (6 Boltgun).
    Each model is allocated one wound first and we place the Meltagun wounds on the TH/SS models as they have a great chance to pass their armour save from them. 3 Boltgun wounds are placed on the 3 LC's. We have 3 wounds left over to allocate, so we begin to double up. We decide to put these on the 3 LC's too.

Now, you roll armour saves together for each set.
    So the TH/SS Terminators roll two dice and get 1 2. Two die.
    The LC Terminators roll six dice and get 1 3 5 4 4 6. One dies.

Q1: Why didn't you put both Meltagun wounds on the same Terminator?
    Because both TH/SS Terminators are armed identically, they roll their armour saves together. If I had only had a single TH/SS Terminator, then he would be a set on his own and so both Meltagun wounds could have been allocated there.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining it, wound allocation makes my head hurt too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct. If they were armed differently, you could place 1 wound on each of them. But because they are all armed the same, that 'group' rolls it's armour saves as one.

Not quite. Sorry, when I said "you do this" it was just an example of what you could do.

Let's say you have: 10 Marines. 8 Bolters, 1 Powerfist, 1 Flamer.
    You suffer 6 wounds. There are three 'sets' in this squad. You can choose to allocate them all to Set 1 (8 Bolters) if you like, and they would roll all the saves together. If you had to put them evenly across each set that would be 2 on PF, 2 on Fl and 2 on Bolters - that would be grossly unfair!

To illustrate the difference in how wound allocation can work in your favour here's a good example:

Scenario 1
    5 Assault Terminators. 2 TH/SS, 3 LC.
    This unit takes 6 wounds from Boltguns and 2 wounds from Meltaguns. Since there are two sets, you split them up like so: TH/SS (2 Meltagun), LC (6 Boltgun).
    Each model is allocated one wound first and we place the Meltagun wounds on the TH/SS models as they have a great chance to pass their armour save from them. 3 Boltgun wounds are placed on the 3 LC's. We have 3 wounds left over to allocate, so we begin to double up. We decide to put these on the 3 LC's too.

Now, you roll armour saves together for each set.
    So the TH/SS Terminators roll two dice and get 1 2. Two die.
    The LC Terminators roll six dice and get 1 3 5 4 4 6. One dies.

Q1: Why didn't you put both Meltagun wounds on the same Terminator?
    Because both TH/SS Terminators are armed identically, they roll their armour saves together. If I had only had a single TH/SS Terminator, then he would be a set on his own and so both Meltagun wounds could have been allocated there.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining it, wound allocation makes my head hurt too.
    Ok yeah, basically I have understood the rule correctly. You had me confused there for a second.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Ok Mr Ravendove, here are some more...

1. A unit of three nobs has all three armed differently. One of them has taken a wound on a previous turn.
    If the unit suffers one wound from a heavy bolter (no save) does it have to go on the wounded ork to remove max models or can it be allocated to another orc with different kit to keep more models on the table?

2. A unit of three nobs with all the same kit have taken a wound on one model from a previous turn. They are then hit bey a single instant killing lascannon wound. Can the orks remove the wounded model or must they instantkill an unwounded one? Would this change if they were all armed differently?
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

EDIT: Oops, already covered.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    1. A unit of three nobs has all three armed differently. One of them has taken a wound on a previous turn.
    If the unit suffers one wound from a heavy bolter (no save) does it have to go on the wounded ork to remove max models or can it be allocated to another orc with different kit to keep more models on the table?
    Removing whole models only applies once wounds have been allocated to a group of identical models. However, there's nothing in the rules on pg. 26 that would require you to allocate that lone wound to the particular group of models containing the wounded model (in this case, the "group" consists of just one already-wounded model). You could just put the wound one of the other "groups" of differently equipped models and end up with 2 differently equipped nobs each missing a wound.

2. A unit of three nobs with all the same kit have taken a wound on one model from a previous turn. They are then hit bey a single instant killing lascannon wound. Can the orks remove the wounded model or must they instantkill an unwounded one? Would this change if they were all armed differently?
    The rules on pg. 26 specifically state that in a group of identically-equipped models, you must remove an unwounded model for each wound that inflicts Instant Death-- no removing already wounded models to mitigate the effects. In fact (and I never noticed this before now) you must remove whole models before allocating any non-ID wounds, in order to prevent shunting other non-ID wounds on to a model that was going to die anyway. I find that second part of the rule particularly weird since the non-multi-wound model allocation rules allow and even encourage shunting off extra wounds :-\

Once again however, if each model were uniquely equipped, none of that really applies. So for example two, if we assume everyone is uniquely equipped and the squad takes a Lascannon wound, you could allocate it to the wounded nob and it doesn't matter-- there are no groups of identically equipped models in the unit, so the rules on pg. 26 don't apply.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Since there are 3 'sets', you allocate evenly among them.
    Are you sure about this? I don't see anything that says you must evenly split them between types, only models. Else Devestator meatshields wouldn't work as you'd have to allocate the 2nd or 3rd hit to a heavy weapon (assuming the 2nd went on Serg). I'm positive it's evenly split between models, so in this case you could also assign all three wounds to different Pistol/CCW models.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast