Tank Shocking a unit: clip it or through it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Tank Shocking a unit: clip it or through it?

In 4th Ed, you were not permitted to merely "clip" your target unit; you had to mow as many of the beggars down as possible, so to speak. In 5th Ed, I can't seem to find the same sort of clear statement about "cannot just clip the unit".

Reason for asking is that the situation arose in a game today. I couldn't find written proof one way or the other, although the event was solved by another element, ie a Ramming action would have been initiated had the TS gone ahead against the troop unit.

Anyone know if the 4th Ed stance on TS still stands, or can you simply drive over someone's little toe and call it a TS? BRB Page numbers etc would be appreciated if possible.

Thanks in advance.

E.

"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

As it doesn't specifically say that you need to hit as many models as possible, thus you can just clip that unit with your TS move (as long as you're moving straight). This is strongly implied as on p. 68 it states "if no enemy unit is reached, just move the vehicle straight...." meaning it is possible that your TS doesn't even TS anything.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    In 4th Ed, you were not permitted to merely "clip" your target unit; you had to mow as many of the beggars down as possible, so to speak. In 5th Ed, I can't seem to find the same sort of clear statement about "cannot just clip the unit".

Reason for asking is that the situation arose in a game today. I couldn't find written proof one way or the other, although the event was solved by another element, ie a Ramming action would have been initiated had the TS gone ahead against the troop unit.

Anyone know if the 4th Ed stance on TS still stands, or can you simply drive over someone's little toe and call it a TS? BRB Page numbers etc would be appreciated if possible.

Thanks in advance.

E.
    You may 'aim' the Tank where you will regardless of how little or great the amount of contact involved as its aimed against units not models.

And as such you can 'clip' if your aim is accurate enough and this is a tactically sound thing to do when trying to avoid that powerfist in the enemy unit.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

And also if you want to force the unit to pull back in a specific direction.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

That's great, guys. Those were my thoughts too, but I wanted to confirm that I hadn't missed anything. Rep all round, and if a Mod would like to close this now as I am satisfied with the replies.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    And also if you want to force the unit to pull back in a specific direction.
    Well they always run towards their board edge regardless, which is really stupid but true.

But yes, you don't declare the tank against the unit anymore, you declare the tank shock, the direction, the distance you intend to move and then any buggers caught up in it are hit. It's as simple as that.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ForceCommanderPaddy View Post
    Well they always run towards their board edge regardless, which is really stupid but true.
    I think he meant the bit about the troops getting out of the way of the tank during the TS itself, not where they run towards if they break.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I think he meant the bit about the troops getting out of the way of the tank during the TS itself, not where they run towards if they break.
    Exactly, they have to move the shortest distance - which is handy for putting a tank between them and the objective they were guarding.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread