A quick little question: Gift of Chaos and units. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick little question: Gift of Chaos and units.

I have read over the rules for Gift of Chaos over and over and I have found that it is NOT a shooting attack (multiple gifts a turn woo!) and it does NOT allocate a wound if successful.. but now here is the problem.

first ill present my easier question..

Since gift of chaos is NOT A SHOOTING SPELL, does that mean my apponent can say "oh no you can't shoot my chaplain(or other) and instead im allocating it to one of these crappy marines" The rule for doing this only applies to SHOOTING attacks/spells,that means it MUST hit the unit i picked and blobify it, also since the spell does not allocate a wound nor classify as even a hit, they CAN'T take a invuln save or allocate it to another model? (NO IF'S AND'S OR BUT'S)?

"for those who dislike Tl;Dr": since gift of chaos is not a shooting skill, nor does it allocate wounds, does my aponent get to choose who gets blobbified? (the rules for shooting/attacking groups, as well as wound allocating only allow this)?
    I need verification on this, opinions or a helpful notice would be nice.

now for the second question (Tau players read this)

A friend of mine is getting into tau and is flaunting about his "OP" shield drones Where he has shoved them into a team of 2 broadsides (4 of the lil buggers ) Yes i know that hits are taken normally (shared toughness so thats easy) but wounds can be allocated to the drones if wanted. I do believe that says WOUNDS. Gift of chaos does NOT INFLICT WOUNDS.

I tried to blobbify one of his broadsides in a recent game and he threw a tantrum over the rule that he can put any wounds on the drones for they're invuln. (he was mad enough that he already noticed DP's have eternal warrior and his railguns had to go through four 4+invuln wounds)
    Eventually he gave an ultimatum ("EITHER I GET TO BLOBBIFY MY DRONE OR IM LEAVING AND I GET TO HIT ONE OF YOUR UNITS WITH A HAMMER"). I stole the hammer from him before he could do so, also he will not play with me until i confide to his rules.

any Tau players (or anyone experienced with this rule) care to enlighten my findings with PROPER verification will be welcomed.

COME HAVE A TASTE OF THE CHAOS GODS, A GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING..err..blobbing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bucketwalrus View Post
    I have read over the rules for Gift of Chaos over and over and I have found that it is NOT a shooting attack (multiple gifts a turn woo!) and it does NOT allocate a wound if successful.. but now here is the problem.

first ill present my easier question..

Since gift of chaos is NOT A SHOOTING SPELL, does that mean my apponent can say "oh no you can't shoot my chaplain(or other) and instead im allocating it to one of these crappy marines" The rule for doing this only applies to SHOOTING attacks/spells,that means it MUST hit the unit i picked and blobify it, also since the spell does not allocate a wound nor classify as even a hit, they CAN'T take a invuln save or allocate it to another model? (NO IF'S AND'S OR BUT'S)?

"for those who dislike Tl;Dr": since gift of chaos is not a shooting skill, nor does it allocate wounds, does my aponent get to choose who gets blobbified? (the rules for shooting/attacking groups, as well as wound allocating only allow this)?
    I need verification on this, opinions or a helpful notice would be nice.

now for the second question (Tau players read this)

A friend of mine is getting into tau and is flaunting about his "OP" shield drones Where he has shoved them into a team of 2 broadsides (4 of the lil buggers ) Yes i know that hits are taken normally (shared toughness so thats easy) but wounds can be allocated to the drones if wanted. I do believe that says WOUNDS. Gift of chaos does NOT INFLICT WOUNDS.

I tried to blobbify one of his broadsides in a recent game and he threw a tantrum over the rule that he can put any wounds on the drones for they're invuln. (he was mad enough that he already noticed DP's have eternal warrior and his railguns had to go through four 4+invuln wounds)
    Eventually he gave an ultimatum ("EITHER I GET TO BLOBBIFY MY DRONE OR IM LEAVING AND I GET TO HIT ONE OF YOUR UNITS WITH A HAMMER"). I stole the hammer from him before he could do so, also he will not play with me until i confide to his rules.

any Tau players (or anyone experienced with this rule) care to enlighten my findings with PROPER verification will be welcomed.

COME HAVE A TASTE OF THE CHAOS GODS, A GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING..err..blobbing.
    From what I can remember, if it says that you can target a specific model (with "model" being the operating word) then you can. I don't have the codex in front of me, however. I'd assume it is much like Eldar's Mind War, though it is a Psychic Shooting attack that allows the user to target a specific model in a unit. However, just because an attack isn't a Psychic shooting attack doesn't mean you can target specific models. Once again, Eldar's Doom Psychic power isn't a shooting attack but is able to target an entire unit within 24" as says the profile. Just look for keywords like "unit" and "model" in the ability profiles and distinguish between the two.

And on the account vs Tau, you would be correct. It does not cause a wound. But once again, if it doesn't target the specific model then he can choose which to kill off.

jboweruk

I don't think you can say which model, in 99% of cases unless it's a single model on their own, the opponent chooses which model to remove, the only exceptions I know of are with people such as Sgt. Telion who can pick off a single model of his choice, and there's another if I remember correctly in one of the suplements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Gift of Chaos refers to models. It targets models and it affects models.

It is not a psychic shooting attack because it is used at the beginning of the turn and can be used whilst in close combat. It is not, in fact, a shooting attack at all; it's a psychic power that targets a single model of your (the Chaos player's) choosing.

Since it does not inflict a wound, wound allocation need not apply (which it wouldn't anyway, since you're targeting a model and not a unit) and no saves can be taken. It is a very scary spell, especially since it has a 33% chance of knocking out any MEQ model.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Gift of Chaos refers to models. It targets models and it affects models.

It is not a psychic shooting attack because it is used at the beginning of the turn and can be used whilst in close combat. It is not, in fact, a shooting attack at all; it's a psychic power that targets a single model of your (the Chaos player's) choosing.

Since it does not inflict a wound, wound allocation need not apply (which it wouldn't anyway, since you're targeting a model and not a unit) and no saves can be taken. It is a very scary spell, especially since it has a 33% chance of knocking out any MEQ model.
    And there you have it.

Now all you have to do is find someone to play with who won't be a whiny bitch about you using it. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Thanks for the verification ze_poodle, now im gonna try this out some time.

and im sure it won't be too hard to find people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Indeed, ze_poodle has it entirely correct. He cannot choose to allocate it anywhere, as it is not a wound. Besides, the power specifically says that you pick a [B]model[/B to target. Furthermore, as mentioned above, even if he could allocate it to say, a shield drone, he still could not take a save(of any kind), as again it does not cause a wound, and saves can only be taken against wounds.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my thoughts exactly.

I just needed confirmation from other players and I received just that

If anyone know of a battle report using this delicious ability care to point me in its direction?

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

What's even worse is if you have the Mark of Tzeentch, you could actually use Gift twice per turn.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

WAIT... lets back this up a bit...

He tried to hit one of your units with a hammer? And after that he has the nerve to complain and refuse to play you?

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast