target selection regarding templates. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

target selection regarding templates.

Can a dreadnought with a hvy weapon and a hvy flamer fire the hvy weapon at a target out of range of the template hvy flamer but still use the heavy flamer to burn enemies close by?

Background to this question

Orks vs Marines
    Ork player deployed a trikk and a looted wagon close together amongst other things to benefit from the Kustom Force Field of the bik mek embarked on the trukk.
    Turn 1
    Space wolf player drops a pod right in front of the trukk and looted wagon and out pops a dreadnought armed with an assault cannon and heavy flamer/close combat weapon.
    Dreadnought targets the looted wagon with the assault canon and also fires the heavy flamer template knowing that the heavy flamer is way out of range of the looted wagon and could never hit the target. The heavy flamer template is then aimed in a slightly different direction from the target so that it hits a few orks and the trukk.

Is this allowed. As far as I can see the rulebook says that you have to target one unit with all your weapons but there is no ruling on targets of template weapons. The space wolf player argued that the template was firing at the same target but just couldn't reached so instead just happened to beneficially hit other units.

As the ork player in this scenario it strikes me as a little
    a) unsporting
    b) possibly against the intention of the rules which I imagine were supposed to represent the fact that the dreadnought can only concentrate on one target at a time.

Please help me solve this as I am confused and need advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Im fairly sure this is coverd by checking range on page 17 where it says "any model that is found to be out of range of all the models he can see in the target unit misses automatically.

Since the flamer cannot hit the tank, i belive there is no effect, despite not normally needing to hit.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

P.16 BRB 1st paragraph: "A firing unit can choose a single enemy unit......and may not split its fire among different targets" (certain wargear items do allow this, like the Tau Crisis suit Multitracker - no, not Multitracker. Duh. This should read "Target Lock". Thanks to Skarsgard for his vigilance). A Dreadnought armed with two ranged weapons must fire both of them at the same enemy target unit.

P.17 BRB 1st paragraph: "All weapons have a maximum effective range"
    P.17 BRB 1st paragraph: "If a target is beyond this maximum range, the shot misses automatically".

P.29 BRB, 2nd paragraph under "Template": "...and the rest of the template covers as many models as possible in the target unit"
    P.29 BRB, same paragraph as previous: "Against vehicles, the template must be placed to cover as much of the vehicle as possible"

In the situation you described, the SW player was incorrect. Having targeted your looted Wagon with the assault cannon, he then used a heavy flamer and therefore was required to follow the rules for using template weapons. He could not "aim it in a slightly different direction" just because it couldn't hit the Wagon. The Wagon was the declared target for all weapons fired by the Dreadnought.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; May 2nd, 2010 at 23:47.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

psst, I think you mean Target Lock.

Totally agree with E.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Eh? Whassat? Ah. Yes. The Target Lock. I knew that. Just testing.....

*Off-stage is heard the sound of Eigle being slapped for being silly*

Okay, okay....I'll go edit it now.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; May 2nd, 2010 at 23:47.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

So reading those rules means the SW player could not 'elect' to fire the flamer in the actual direction of the 'target' if it is out of range even though he would have hit other models?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by dafridge View Post
    Ok thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

So reading those rules means the SW player could not 'elect' to fire the flamer in the actual direction of the 'target' if it is out of range even though he would have hit other models?
    Correct.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread