Question re Lash of Submission move - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Question re Lash of Submission move

In the BRB, there is a difference between stating that something "may move up to...." and something "moves...". Examples would be a model's normal movement, where the model may move up to its maximum movement (P.11 1st sentence of 2nd paragraph), or a case of specified movement, where the model moves a specific distance (P.45 BRB, Fall Back, 1st sentence of 3rd paragraph).

We also have the statement that Codex overrules Rulebook.

My question is this:

In the Chaos Space Marine Codex, Lash of Submission says that a targeted unit is moved XD6" according to the whim of the player owning the Sorcerer, ie a specified distance.

In the CSM FAQ, that XD6" move is described as "the unit's maximum move..... and models....can move up to that distance or less", ie a non-specified distance.

So which rule do we use as correct? Since the piece quoted above comes from the "FAQ" section rather than the "Errata" section (which is a rewrite of something in the Codex, thus becoming Codex-official), does the Codex statement of a specific distance of movement override this?

I'm just curious to find out what is the general consensus of the rules chaps here: Codex takes preference, or FAQ takes preference?

My reason for asking all this comes from an experience in a game a few weeks ago. We were playing a Battle Mission called "Hit and Run", where our respective front lines ended up just slightly more than 12" apart at the start of the game. There were two buildings on the centre line of the table, directly between which was my opponent's Death Company unit. My Sorcerer and a 6-man unit of Chaos Terminator Champions were straight in front of the DC, and I stole first turn. I moved forward with the Terminators and Lashed the DC, bringing them forward by 8". However, the gap between the DC and the CTs was less than 8", so I didn't move them closer than 1" away from my CTs.

Looking back, I just wonder if I played this legally or not, hence the checking through the Codex and the FAQ. It was then that I noticed the discrepancy, and that's why I've asked this question.

E.

"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

You played it right.

FAQ overrides Codex which overrides BRB.

So just as with normal movement, you can move the target up to XD6". You don't have to move the full XD6".
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

I'm with jy2. While the FAQ's may technically be "soft" rules or studio house rules, they're also the only official ruling from GW that we have. Unless your group as a whole has decided to disregard the GW FAQs, I don't see any reason to second-guess their legitimacy.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Thanks, guys. It's nice to get confirmation! Rep.

E.

Edit: Well, it appears I have to spread some more rep elsewhere before you two get any more from me. Oh well, good intentions and all that, eh?
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread