Help with Sanctuary! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Help with Sanctuary!

I'm just need clarification of this power before Sunday.

An inquisitor with the sanctuary psychic power is standing in the middle of the board, 5 Grey Knights are stood in unit coherency of the =][=, there are swarms of shooty daemons stood within charging distance and can all see 100% of the squad.A at the beginning of the psyker's turn he successfully casts Sanctuary. Now the power states that Daemons cannot draw line of sight though 3" of the psyker who cast sanctuary, am I correct in thinking that none of the Daemons can shoot at the squad because they are protected by the power, even though they are shooting into the bubble not through it?

And what the Grey Knights shoot? Does that nullify the bubbles power, or because the =][= isn't shooting the bubble still has effect?

Grey Knight WIP Thread <Clicky>

I am the Hammer...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

First off, I really hope you didn't put up three other versions of this thread on purpose in order to draw attention to your question. That won't get you an answer faster. It just annoys the mod team.

As to your question:

Quote Originally Posted by V3xx View Post
    I'm just need clarification of this power before Sunday.

An inquisitor with the sanctuary psychic power is standing in the middle of the board, 5 Grey Knights are stood in unit coherency of the =][=, there are swarms of shooty daemons stood within charging distance and can all see 100% of the squad.A at the beginning of the psyker's turn he successfully casts Sanctuary. Now the power states that Daemons cannot draw line of sight though 3" of the psyker who cast sanctuary, am I correct in thinking that none of the Daemons can shoot at the squad because they are protected by the power, even though they are shooting into the bubble not through it?

And what the Grey Knights shoot? Does that nullify the bubbles power, or because the =][= isn't shooting the bubble still has effect?
    I've not seen enough battles with Daemonhunters to know for sure, but based on a straight read of the rules, it seems you are correct in that the daemons cannot shoot at any spot within 3" of the caster, since they cannot draw line of sight through it. While a hard-core rules lawyer will no doubt point out that to fire, the daemons don't have to draw line of sight THROUGH the bubble, just INTO it, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the rule certainly suggests that anything within that "bubble" is not visible to the daemons, and therefore cannot be shot at, similar to the psyker.

As for the squad shooting, you can make a "hair-splitting" argument that since the rule states only that the power is nullified when the PSYKER shoots, that the squad may shoot and not nullify the power, but I'd do a re-read in the main rulebook on independent characters and attached squads before saying for sure. If there's no rule there that further clarifies, I'd say your inquisitor's squad can shoot and still hide in the bubble.

Mind you, you won't win many friends with this, as even if a TO or judge sides with you, this is very, very much in the "dirty tricks" category, as far as I'm concerned.

The only real problem I can foresee, upon second glance, is that you'd better make sure the =I= is, in fact, attached to the squad. That SHOULDN'T be a factor, but if they weren't officially attached, just standing close together, that might muddy things a bit.

Good luck!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

Sorry, I didn't mean to post the thread multiple times, sometimes when my network gets busy when I post on forums my browser will crash with no indication that the post has been submitted. I apologise.

I no it could be considered a dirty trick, however I've never won a game when writing a fair list with any of my armies, and when a guy at my local who's known for writing filthy cheesy lists challenged me to a game against his daemons I decided to see what nasties I could conjur up.

Thanks for clearing the matter up

I am the Hammer...

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

If an IC is moved anywhere within 2" of one of his units in the movement phase, he is automatically joined to that squad.

The way most DH players play is that anything within the 3" bubble can't be targeted. However, if the unit was big enough so that some models stick out of the bubble, then those models may be targeted and thusly the entire unit.

If you really want to go cheesy, get land raiders. Sanctuary cast within a transport is measured from the hull. Thus, put your Inq inside the LR and surround it with a squad of grey knights with psycannons or worse yet, purgation squad. That combo is an auto-win, especially in objectives games. Go up to an objective and cast sanctuary and there's nothing the daemon player can do about it. Not a very friendly way of playing though.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

The chessiest thing you can do against a daemons players (from the description of this guy, he might deserve it) get three squads of 5 ISTs and attach an Elite Inq with sanctuary to each and buy them each a HS land raider. That should be 1005 points. Fill out the remaining points with a GK hero with sanc attached to a GK squad with 2 psycannons and maybe an Inq lord with sanc and a landraider if you have the points. Quickly get into position and laugh when he realizes he can't do anything to you... ever. Mind you, this is a good way to get daemon players to hate you. A very good way actually. =P
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I have another question about this, if your inquisitor has sanctary successfully cast, and is inside of a landraider, what happens if the landraider moves?

The rule states:
    "The effects of this power lasts until the psyker moves, shoots..."

SoI think that moving the land raider would be psooible, it would be the ultimate tank shock, bring them to a corner where they cannot get out of the bubble and they are destroyed!

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x2)

Thanks for clearing up the rules for me, I played the guy today and he wasn't too happy when none of his daemons could harm me, and was so upset when my Grand Master took out his Daemon Price having only inflicted one wound on it he broke his model

I am the Hammer...

jboweruk

Quote Originally Posted by ikbuh View Post
    The chessiest thing you can do against a daemons players (from the description of this guy, he might deserve it) get three squads of 5 ISTs and attach an Elite Inq with sanctuary to each and buy them each a HS land raider. That should be 1005 points. Fill out the remaining points with a GK hero with sanc attached to a GK squad with 2 psycannons and maybe an Inq lord with sanc and a landraider if you have the points. Quickly get into position and laugh when he realizes he can't do anything to you... ever. Mind you, this is a good way to get daemon players to hate you. A very good way actually. =P
    Hey, you're daemon hunters, they are MEANT to hate you.

Broke his model? What a rotten sore loser... Serves him right for playing daemons...

+ Reply to Thread