Librarium Online Forums banner

Necron Destroyer and Heavy Destroyer unit type

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Darguth 
#1 · (Edited)
This problem sprung up from new Spearheads in another thread:

I'll quote the Codex verbatim:

"SPECIAL RULES

Necron. Heavy destroyers follow the Necron special rules as detailed on page 13.

Jetbike. Heavy destroyers count as jetbikes for movement purposes. They may also move and fire their heavy gauss cannons."

This is the exact wording of the codex with original font sizes and boldings. So what does this really mean? Is Destroyer/Heavy Destroyer unit type Jetbike or something else? And if it is something else exactly what is it?

Now for those that do not have Necron codex I'll tell some background information:
- Its 3rd edition and there is no newer codex
- The only unit that has unit type listed in the whole codex is Monolith (Tank, Skimmer)
- Necron 5th edition FAQ made a special ruling on two other units (Wraith and Scarab Swarm) stating they are infantry that moves like jetbikes. However, their codex entry is written and worded differently than Destroyer/Heavy Destroyer. For example, Scarab Swarm reads: "Swarm. Scarab Swarms move like jetbikes and ignore all terrain."
- Worth noting is that Necron 5th edition FAQ also made a ruling that Scarab Swarms are Swarms even though there is no unit type written in the entry.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am the one contesting that they are actually Jetbikes. My perspective is that if they were Jetbikes, it would say, similar to that in the Eldar codex, that they either are the Unit Type of Jetbike (I know the Necron codex is older but there would need to be an errata somewhere stating what unit type these models are if not counted as Infantry) or count as using the rule in the Warhammer 40,000 rule book for Jetbikes. As it is right now, it only mentions that they count as Jetbikes for movement purposes, however if they were Jetbikes, IMO, they would also confer from a +1 to their toughness.

The issue came up when we were talking about which Spearhead rules would be good for Necrons and the one about Bikes and Jetbikes came up where they can turboboost and still fire their weapons. I mentioned we can't choose Destroyers or Heavy Destroyers because they are not Jetbikes but mearly count as moving like one.

#5 ·
They're jetbikes. Don't be a wanker about it.

#6 ·
Seconded.

I remember them listed in the back of the 4e Rulebook as Jetbikes. That book had the nice little section where it laid out unit types for older codex books.

#7 ·
Firstly, please don't call me a "wanker" about this, I'm not saying this just to be a jerk, I'm saying it because I've been called on it before and have not seen a ruling or errata saying that they are in fact Jetbikes. However, because general concensus on this forum is that they are Jetbikes, I will conceed my stand on this subject.

#8 ·
I didn't mean to call you a wanker specifically. It would just be a pretty low move to say that to a Necron player who's all excited about Spearhead and such. Like going up against a Blood Angels player and insisting that his Vindicators don't use a blast template.

#9 ·
Hey

The codex states that they are only jetbikes for movement purposes. This would lead me to assume that the Relentless rule would not apply to them, however the +1 to the Toughness characteristic has been included in its profile, so I am not sure what to think here.

If they are truly Jetbikes, and they are allowed Relentless, why would the codex say that they are only that unit type for movement purposes???

Good Hunting.

#11 ·
They have a 3rd edition codex, which is waaay old now. The Necron codex is up there with Dark Eldar and DH/WH in terms of age. There are bound to be conflicts applying a new ruleset to an old codex, and GW's faqs are notoriously insufficient at plugging the gaps (just look at the SW FAQ...it raises more issues than it answers, and that's a new codex).

#12 ·
just look at the SW FAQ...it raises more issues than it answers, and that's a new codex.
That's true, however it doesn't change the fact that issues like this raise up from outdated codecies where the FAQs do not really elucidate on these matters, and that the armies have not kept up with the times. A new codex or not, new editions of the game as a whole tend to determine entirely new shifts in opinions and of the core rules itself. It does tend to get a bit confusing, and without the proper corrections that are so desperately needed.

Just my 98 cents short of a dollar.

Good Hunting.

#13 ·
4th Edition rulebook officially stamped them as Jetbikes. The Codex was first produced in the mid to latter days of 3rd Edition (2002) which didn't go so much for unit types except vehicles.

E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.