Weapon Type Meanings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weapon Type Meanings

After reading through the codices and BRB, i haven't been able to find the answer to the question i'm about to ask, and if it has been asked and answered on the forum already, I apologize, as my search function is not working.

okay here's the question:

When a weapon type says something like Heavy 1 or Heavy 3, what do the numbers mean? is that how many attacks that weapon provides? or is it how many wounds it can cause? or is it just some arbitrary number to confuse the heck out of newcomers like me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tassadar7945 View Post

okay here's the question:

When a weapon type says something like Heavy 1 or Heavy 3, what do the numbers mean?
    is that how many attacks that weapon provides?
    This is the correct answer.

The only time when a weapon profile will deal additional damage it will specifically say so - any other numbers (such as assault 2, heavy 3 etc) simply specify the number of shots the weapon gets each time it shoots.

[edit] Oh and just to potentially save confusion later, the number of attacks a model has on it's profile has nothing to do with how many shots its gun gets - there are one or two exceptions to this but they will be specifically noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so say i have a weapon that is Heavy 3, that means each shooting phase with that weapon i roll 3 to hit dice?

[edit] and thanks for the help, i just want to be completely clear on all the rules, and sometimes it just isnt spelled out clearly RAW you know? rep for you

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Yes.

So a heavy bolter will roll 3 dice while a pistol (it doesn't matter what type) will roll only 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the clarification and i feel so stupid because i re-read the beginning part of the weapons section in BRB and there it was in plain black and white text. Although now i do have a question about blasts, lets say that there is a Heavy 2, Blast, Barrage weapon, i know how to do multi-blast from multiple models in a unit, would you follow those same rules, IE resolve each blast of the 2 individually, or would you place the template for both blasts at the same time, since it was fired from a single weapon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rules for multiple barrage weapons can be found on pg 32. There is a very easy to follow graphic that explains it quite well.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    580 (x8)

@ tassadar7945:

A weapon's "Type" column in its profile may include a lot of different elements. The words demonstrate the weapon types (Assault, Heavy, etc), but may also indicate that there are further weapon characteristics to bear in mind (number of shots, special rules/abilities). To give a complicated example:

An Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (a Tau special issue weapon which is only available to certain ranks in the Tau Codex) is noted as Assault 1, but there are two other characteristics noted as well in its "Type" column in the Codex. However, when taking the *whole* profile into account, we find that the weapon's range is marked with a "G" (see P.32 BRB 2nd para left column). This introduces 2 further characteristics to the weapon which are not actually noted in its "Type" column but which apply with equal relevance.

It's therefore important that the entire weapon profile for any weapon is read as a whole, since some of its elements may cause other rules to be incorporated into the weapon's type through additional characteristics.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

jboweruk

And just to confuse you further you have 'rapid fire' weapons, that shoot twice up to 12", or once if you didn't move to 24".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    @ tassadar7945:

A weapon's "Type" column in its profile may include a lot of different elements. The words demonstrate the weapon types (Assault, Heavy, etc), but may also indicate that there are further weapon characteristics to bear in mind (number of shots, special rules/abilities). To give a complicated example:
    I was mainly wondering about the said numbers next to type, I know how the basics of the types work, heavy, assault, and rapid fire, i was just making sure about how many dice to roll to wound when firing said weapon. I know you have to read the entire profile as a whole, because lets say you had a completely fictitous and totally broken weapon:

Supa Burna:

Range: Template Strength: 5 AP: - Type: Assault 3, Rending, Pinning

would mean you get three wound chances with the template, and can fire after moving, and on 6s to wound, you cause insta wounds, and cause go to ground checks (yes i know how broken this weapon is, i just wanted to make it complicated, yet simple)

So i do read the entire profiles when looking a t a weapon, i just wanted to make sure of the number next to the primary type, IE: Heavy, Rapid Fire, Assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by tassadar7945 View Post
    Supa Burna:

Range: Template Strength: 5 AP: - Type: Assault 3, Rending, Pinning

would mean you get three wound chances with the template, and can fire after moving, and on 6s to wound, you cause insta wounds, and cause go to ground checks (yes i know how broken this weapon is, i just wanted to make it complicated, yet simple)
    Missed a bit - on a Rending 6, it causes automatic wounds... At AP2. Or if it's hitting a tank, those 6's give you an extra D3 to your armour penetration roll (so, S5 plus 6 plus D3)

Oh, yeah - you could charge after shooting that thing, too.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?