blast templates, this rule isnt logical.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blast templates, this rule isnt logical....

I know this isnt really a question like "what does this rule mean"??? But just bear with me on this. Ok me and my friend were having a game because i have finally completed my new Ultramarines force and had yet to test it on a hoarde based or infantry based army. So he was the tyranid guy in this game.

Now when i fired my demolisher cannon i was glad to have wound 8 gaunts. BUT.... none of the gaunts under the template leave the table. Instead he takes models about 6" away from the ones i hit of the board. This rule has only just hit me about how stupid it is.... why havnt GW made it so you have to take of the models underneath the template. Obviously i thought at first that people would aim for a hq unit or sergeant in the squad to get rid of the extra points or better models but still they could have made the blast weapons a lot weaker, make them scatter more or reduce range.

So have you ever been able to choose which models you can take of before in the 40k rules with blast templates?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

This really doesn't belong in Rules Help. You clearly understand how the rule actually works.

You wish you could take out the closer members of the brood, right? Delay their eventual arrival to your lines? Nice try, but that's not really a core principle of the game. You must either wittle them down with firepower, or outmanouver with speed.

Protip: Tyranid gribblies hate flamers.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Think of it like the CC pile in rules
    you pick and chose which models die, yeah, but the others are manuvering around the corpses of their comrads!
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The general idea is that you may have taken a chunk out with your shell, but their mates walked in over their friend's bodies.

The real reason is to stop people "sniping" with blast weapons. Since this is still hella effective even with the 2/3rd chance of scattering, that isn't going to change any time soon.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

yea, sniping would be much worse... the rule is good IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken, that used to be the rule in 3rd ed. They changed for 4th ed. for the exact reason you listed. people would just snipe secial weapons and sergeants out of the squads with Blast weapons.
    Eldar W/D/L: 17/15/12
    Ordo Malleus W/D/L: 24/3/4
    Crimson Fists: In Progress

jboweruk

Nothing to stop you having a house rule, as it says, feel free to change any rule 'in house' as long as your opponent agrees before the battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Yup it avoids sniping of sgts and special weapons.
    The logic being that the whole created by the blasts is quickly filled with the gaunts further back.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

In addition to being a good rule it is also packs quite a lot of common sense in it... If your shooty unit takes casualties you obviously want to take casualties away from the more exposed sides to maximize cover (saves). Just like real soldiers would get into cover. If your stabby unit takes casualties you obviously want to take casualties away from the farthers away sides to maximize your chances of getting to assault range. Just like real soldiers would run even faster to silence those big guns before its late.

It only stops being logical if the shooter could assing all wounds (you know, in real world soldiers are supposed to shoot the most dangerous enemies like heavy weapons and leaders first... not the joe average with rifle).
    Last edited by Polaria; July 15th, 2010 at 14:55.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Well in the case of heavy and special weapons, it could be that some rifleman picked up the meltagun dropped by his buddy (it is in the Guardsman Primer that it is more important to save equipment before people. People are easier to replace.
    As for Sgt? I guess they are good at ducking
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast