Championship setup - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Championship setup

Hi. I and my friends have started on War40K a while ago and already want to make our first championship. But where we live there are no GW stores or hobby shops. So what I'd like to ask is: with how many points should we start the championship?
    We thought of starting with 500 points in the first round of battles, then increasing (eg. 1000, 1500...) until the final battle. But I think 500 points is too few, even for the start.
    What do you think, how do you do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

What do you mean by "Championship"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    What do you mean by "Championship"?
    We'll play each other over and over in order to determine the champion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

A quick word of advice, in warhammer the word is tournament, or tournie. I couldnt tell you why but no-body calls it championship

Anyway a 500 point game is certainly doable, and will make for a very different game. The style of tournament your talking about is escalation, and thats a perfectly fine way to do it.

The other style of tournament is when a fixed points limit is agreed first, and you play a certain number of games (6 is the number used by the big tournaments UKGT and i think 'ard boys) with points for wins, draws and losses. Generally youd want 1500+ in this case, as anything smaller is a bit quick.

Hope thats what your looking for.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much!
    Now I can better google it!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Heirodule gave great advice, I'd just like to add on one thing. There is a cool way to do an escalation type tournament that my friends and I have done. You start at 500 or 750, then increase the points by 250 or 500 per step (your choice) only adding onto the existing list. You have to keep all of the units that you used in your previous game. Whether or not you can add wargear/extra troops to those units is up to you. This provides an interesting way to build lists, as units that are effective at, say, 500 points might not be effective at 2000. This sometimes creates awkward army lists later on, and really tests your foresight and generalship.

Good luck with your tournie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Subsocial. I'll propose that idea of escalation to our "rules' lawyers".
    Actually, I'd prefer to start around 750 points, because 500 is too limited and the games might be more influenced by luck than technique.

+ Reply to Thread