Multiple Leadership values in a unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Leadership values in a unit

Specifically, the question is about Wolf Guard joining a unit of Grey Hunters, however the overall rule could apply to many units.

Currently, friends and I have played where Morale checks are taken against the majority leadership of a unit. IE, 10 Grey Hunters with leadership 8, joined by a WG of leadership 9, would use 8. However, I've been reading over the rules and I cannot find how this is justified. My friend who is our defacto rules guide (because of his play experience) holds that it is always "majority" leadership.

My case:
    Page 8, under Leadership Tests:
    "If a unit includes models with different Leadership values, always use the one with the highest Ld value."

Page 43, Morale:
    "Morale checks are a specific kind of Leadership test. "

Further, under morale checks on page 43, I see no mention of using majority leadership, using the lowest value, or highest value. It seems to me that because a Morale check is a Leadership check (square is a rectangle, etc...), it should fall back to "a unit includes models with different Leadership values, always use the one with the highest Ld value."

Thus, when a WG joins a unit of Grey Hunters, the pack's leadership value would be 9 for the case of all Leadership checks, including Morale.

Am I missing something here? I've checked the 5th edition book as carefully as I can and don't see any reason that a unit would use the lower/majority leadership value for morale checks. If I'm mistaken, I'd love to know. This is turning into a heated debate, and a concise ruling would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x3)

Anything that requires the unit to take a leadership or moral check will use the highest LD in the unit. If a specific model is picked out by an attack then you would use the individual models LD value.
    I put the Laughter back into Slaughter.
    Sons of Prometheus <click>
    Children of Murder <clic>

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Page ref: P.8 BRB under Leadership Tests. This is for taking general tests like Morale checks, or Leadership tests for Pinning.

Majority tests are used for things like Toughness vs shooting/combat, but if there is no majority you use the highest value in the unit. They are also used for Weapon Skill of a unit

In Sweeping Advances, the majority value of the Initiatives in the unit is used unless there is no majority, in which case the highest is used.

Etc etc etc.

In other words you're right, ticklemechip. You always use the highest Leadership value in the unit for Morale and Leadership tests.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; September 29th, 2010 at 21:34.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id use highest leadership too.. else what would a champ be good at if u dont use his leadership??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, just to back up what has already been said, you always use the highest leadership value in a squad

+ Reply to Thread