Inquisitor Lord Ability - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Suppose an Inquisitor Lord were to join up with a Black Templar squad. Since he can choose to pass or fail a morale test, could they advance forward automatically as a result of Righteous Zeal?

I'm thinking no since the Lord would fall back while his squad charges forward, but I was curious and wanted to make sure.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Here's how you get to that answer.

The I Lord's Iron Will does apply to the unit, since it specifically says so. So the unit could choose to "fail" the moral test. Normally this would allow the BT unit to charge forward toward the enemy (this operates differently than stated in the codex, read the FAQ)

However, as stated in the rulebook, page 50, the independent character does not gain the special rules of the unit. That means if the unit fails the moral check, the character cannot charge forward.

Movement rules state the unit moves at the speed of the slowest member. Since the I Lord does not charge forward, falling back instead, then the entire unit must fall back, since that is the speed of the slowest member.

It's the same as if a noisy lord without infiltrate joins a stealthy unit of infiltrators. He ruins it for all of them. In this case the Lord chooses to fail moral check and fall back, his "leadership" takes the unit back with him. His Iron Will dominates and overrides the unit (because movment rules say the unit must move at his slower pace), just like his leadership could also lead the unit to succeed on a moral check they might normally fail.

Note that the Inquisitor Lord must have a retinue. He would not normally be able to join another unit unless the retinue was killed and he was the only one left. So this is unlikely to occur.

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Thanks WolfRaider, I pretty much figured it would work something like that, but that was a great clarification. Where could I find the FAQ to look up how the Templar rule works?

I remember finding that sweeping advance was changed, so the Righteous Zeal works the same but isn't called a "sweeping advance" anymore for official purposes. Is this what they have in the faq or is it different?

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, you might get away with rolling for both the unit types and whichever has the lower magnitude would be slower, even if they did happen to be going forward rather than backwards. Yes, I have been doing too much Physics.

Dan
    "I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

<a href='http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=7017&amp;t=1' target='_blank'>Get Firefox&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Odd_Bloke@Sep 24 2004, 016
    Of course, you might get away with rolling for both the unit types and whichever has the lower magnitude would be slower, even if they did happen to be going forward rather than backwards. Yes, I have been doing too much Physics.
    [snapback]218353[/snapback]
    True. As an absolute value, 6" backwards is further than 5" forward.

However, based on the fact fearless, stealth, combat drugs, etc don&#39;t convey between the unit and character, and the character and unit cannot separate, you&#39;re pretty much stuck with the character pulling the unit back. Although this breaks the &#39;charge forward&#39; from a failed moral check it is in keeping with the other instances of a character without the unit&#39;s ability preventing the unit from using the ability.

Ebon Hand, the FAQs are available on GW&#39;s site for free download. 40k FAQs

Closed Thread