During which phases are we NOT allowed to measure? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During which phases are we NOT allowed to measure?

Hey guys,

I have been playing friendly games with my friend as we learn the game, and we measure at all times. When shooting my vindicator, I measure to potential targets and when one is within 24" I will settle on that one. I will also have my tape out to place the template properly.

Am I doing this wrong? Am I supposed to not be able to measure?

During which phases or when resolving which actions are we NOT allowed to measure?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

You cannot pre-measure when shooting or when assaulting. Pre-measuring is doing exactly what you've described above concerning your Vindicator. P.17 BRB 4th line of "Check range" shows that you pick your target first and THEN measure. If you're out of range with all the models in your unit, then you cannot choose another target: your shots have missed. That's why it's important to learn to judge distances well; some folks are good enough to be able to get them absolutely spot on, and it means that they don't waste shooting (or indeed assault).

Once you have ascertained that at least *one* of the models in your unit is in range of the enemy unit, then you measure from every model in your own unit to determine who can fire and who can't, and also to see if anyone is within "rapid fire" range since you must always fire a weapon to its fullest capability. Therefore if a rapid fire weapon is found to be 12" or less away from the enemy AND you choose to fire it, it *must* fire twice.

When we say "template", this usually refers to the teardrop-shaped plastic marker rather than the two circular ones. There's an important difference in the way they are played; the teardrop is set down touching the base of the firing model, whereas the two round ones (known as blast markers) are placed on the target unit and then the measuring is done to make sure that the marker is 'in range'. If the distance to the central hole is greater than the range of the weapon firing it, then it is an automatic miss. P.30 BRB 3rd paragraph of "Blast".

There is one occasion when you may pre-measure and that is if you are playing Daemonhunters using Inquisitional Stormtroopers. These guys have weapons with targeters which allow you to pre-measure to different targets before shooting. However, this is the only example I can think of which permits this.

You may also not pre-measure when assaulting the enemy. Some players will permit an assault to proceed if the assault is maybe only 1/8" out, but others (like me, but that's how my gaming circle play this) won't allow it. The only time you can measure when assaulting is after you have declared your assault target. Once the declaration is made, you cannot change your mind about the target unit.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; October 12th, 2010 at 21:24.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    There is one occasion when you may pre-measure and that is if you are playing Daemonhunters using Inquisitional Stormtroopers. These guys have weapons with targeters which allow you to pre-measure to different targets before shooting. However, this is the only example I can think of which permits this.
    Ork Flash Gitz can do this, too.
    The Angels of Penitance - The project log
    There is only the Emperor. He is our shield and protector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    You may also not pre-measure when assaulting the enemy. Some players will permit an assault to proceed if the assault is maybe only 1/8" out, but others (like me, but that's how my gaming circle play this) won't allow it. The only time you can measure when assaulting is after you have declared your assault target. Once the declaration is made, you cannot change your mind about the target unit.
    You may also not move the unit if they are not able to get the assault off!
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Nhyx:

Yep, should have included that. Some of my opponents will say "Oh go on then it's only "x" mm away, but to follow RAW it's a failed assault if you aren't the required distance or less away.

Good point to raise.

soncka:
    Thanks dude. I don't have the Orks codex.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread