The Assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

The Assault

This scenario came up in a game against a good friend of mine. My friend who plays Tyranids had a Trygon assault a squad of my Chaos Space Marines. After the assault I still had models alive so I used the pile in move to get the remaining models into base contact.

On my turn, I moved my Daemon Prince into assaulting range of the same Trygon, measured and saw that the Prince was withing 6" of the Trygon and went to assault. However, the models that were already in combat with the Trygon were in the direct path of my Daemon Prince and there was no way of going around them to get into base contact. I didn't see anything against the rules here as my Prince is just joining the combat and was within 6", but my friend said that because he can't get into base contact he cannot join the combat.

Who was right here? I couldn't find anything in the BRB to explain this situation, and I've had other opponents do this against me and watched games where people do this and nothing was said. In the end we went with my friends' judgement of the situation and he went on to win due to this Trygon killing my troops off and securing the objective they were vying for.

World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

With a single unit this would be black and white, models don't need to be in base contact, just need to be within 2". Since this is two seperate units... I'm not 100% shure.

Unless someone can point out something saying the 2" rule doesn't count with multiple units, I'd just go with that.
    Last edited by SkyDog; October 13th, 2010 at 13:37.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

The 2" rule only applies to units already in combat. If you can't get to combat, you stand around looking like a fool.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I just had a read through the BRB for a double check and it looks like your friend was right. Pg 35 says a unit must have atleast 1 model in base contact to be locked in combat, other models in the same unit within 2" can also attack.

If your Prince couldn't get into base contact and didn't have a unit member in contact then he couldn't assault.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

This is a good example of when to be "thinking ahead". When doing a Pile-in move, it's worthwhile having a careful look around at the whereabouts of your other units in relation to the combat in progress. If there is a possibility of getting another unit into the same CC, as there potentially was in your case, then by being very particular with the Pile-In move of your existing unit in the CC try to leave him a gap to use. It's not always possible to do this of course, but it's basically about situational awareness.

However, the answers already given above by SkyDog and realitycheque are spot on; your DP couldn't have participated in the CC.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Lame, I have been jipped so many times it seems. Like I said, as I've had this done to me before, sp when it came to pile in, i didn't even think twice about where my DP was in regards to charging my next turn. I'll mark this down as a learning experience, thanks.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

The only thing you have to remember is that the Pile-In rule requires you to move your models up to 6" to *get into base contact with an enemy*; it's only if you can't actually reach base contact with that 6" move that you can move to an "engaged" position. That's why it's hard to pull off leaving a gap available, particularly if you have a lot of models still involved in the CC which need to perform the Pile-In.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread