Transports ramming and then exploding - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Transports ramming and then exploding

What happens if a transport rams something and then explodes/get wrecked(Like a LR moving 12" to ram a LR). The troops inside must disembark and take a pinning test but assuming they pass it are there any restrictions on what they can do for the rest of the turn? ie: can they shoot/run and then assualt (since it is has an assault ramp).

the most relevant quote I can find is
    If the vehicle has already moved...After disembarking, these models may
    shoot (counting as moving), but may not assault.
    with the may not assault part being over ridden by the assault ramp.

Sorry if this has been FAQed or something, I've read them all and don't remember seeing it

Last edited by Bugs_n_Orks; October 13th, 2010 at 20:35.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Interesting point. The only argument I can find is the actual wording of the Assault Vehicle rule.
    SM codex p81
    Which states that models disembarking from any access point can launch an assault on the turn they do so.

When a transport suffers a wrecked damage result it does say you actually disembark (and hence must be placed w/in 2" of an access point). Therefore it would reason that yes you could launch an assault from an Assault Vehicle.

However, when it explodes you simply place the models where the vehicle was (not actually disembarking). Thus the Assault Vehicle rule would not apply.

BRB p67
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

Actually came up with a question very similar to what Bugs asked, except with the Dark Eldar

take a squad of Wychs in a raider. DE turn, goes flat out with the raider to ram a chimera of the opposing side. Its move causes both the raider and the chimera to become destroyed through either result. The wychs need to disembark, take a pinning check, same with the IG squad in the chimera. Since the vehicle is open topped, can the wychs then assault in the assault phase? Could this be done if the vehicle didn't go flat out?
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

reg DE.
    If a fast skimmer transport is moving flat-out and suffers an immobilized result it is wrecked. (p71)
    A troops embarked in fast skimmer that moved flat-out may not disembark. (p70) note: that emergency disembarkation can only be done if they cannot disembark due to enemies w/in 1" or impassible terrain (p67)
    Destroyed - Wrecked result: Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed (p67)

So... The only way for troops of a ramming fast skimmer moving flat out to still assault is if it explodes and pass they pinning check.
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    reg DE.
    If a fast skimmer transport is moving flat-out and suffers an immobilized result it is wrecked. (p71)
    A troops embarked in fast skimmer that moved flat-out may not disembark. (p70) note: that emergency disembarkation can only be done if they cannot disembark due to enemies w/in 1" or impassible terrain (p67)
    Destroyed - Wrecked result: Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed (p67)

So... The only way for troops of a ramming fast skimmer moving flat out to still assault is if it explodes and pass they pinning check.
    I don't know about that. If it explodes they don't disembark, the vheicle goes to bits and they just get left standing in the wreckage.
    Pg 67- wrecked. They disembark and take a pinning test. If they pass the pinning test it doesn't say any additional conditions apply. Any normal perks from being an open topped or assault vheicle or restrictions from moving flat out should still apply as normal.

Pg67-Explodes. The surviving passangers are placed where the vheicle used to be then take a pinning test. They havn't disembarked so they won't get any perks from using assault doors or anything like that.

Also, they were just forced to keep their heads down as the vheicle exploded around them and took a number of hits from flaming shrapnle, they arn't going to be in any condition to launch an assault.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    I don't know about that. If it explodes they don't disembark, the vheicle goes to bits and they just get left standing in the wreckage.
    Exactly what I wrote. They don't actually disembark, therefore (assuming they pass the pinning check) can shoot and assault normally.
    Pg 67- wrecked. They disembark and take a pinning test. If they pass the pinning test it doesn't say any additional conditions apply. Any normal perks from being an open topped or assault vheicle or restrictions from moving flat out should still apply as normal.
    Exatcly. However if it is a fast vehicle moving over 12" (flat-out) then they may not disembark and are hence destroyed. Uh, still repeating myself here.
    Pg67-Explodes. The surviving passangers are placed where the vheicle used to be then take a pinning test. They havn't disembarked so they won't get any perks from using assault doors or anything like that.
    Also precisely what I stated 2 posts before the one you quoted.
    Also, they were just forced to keep their heads down as the vheicle exploded around them and took a number of hits from flaming shrapnle, they arn't going to be in any condition to launch an assault.
    Regardless of what we may imagine, the rules are the rules. One could easily argue that battle hardened Space Marines, Centuries old Eldar, Orks, etc would hardly be cowering from a mere transport explosion (hence passing their pinning check).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Acez View Post
    Actually came up with a question very similar to what Bugs asked, except with the Dark Eldar

take a squad of Wychs in a raider. DE turn, goes flat out with the raider to ram a chimera of the opposing side. Its move causes both the raider and the chimera to become destroyed through either result. The wychs need to disembark, take a pinning check, same with the IG squad in the chimera. Since the vehicle is open topped, can the wychs then assault in the assault phase? Could this be done if the vehicle didn't go flat out?
    At this point in time nothing Dark Eldar may ram since we do not have the unit designation "Tank "anywhere.

The only thing we have is an upgrade that allows 'Tank Shock' - not an upgrade that reclassifies units into something else.

And the rules for Ramming tells us that in order to invoke them we must go at top speed and in this case that would be Flat Out.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread