Chaos codex from 4th edition used with 5th edition rulebook - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos codex from 4th edition used with 5th edition rulebook

This question concerns both Chaos Space Marine players and those who don't play them.

When the Chaos Space Marine codex for the 5th edition came my interest in Warhammer 40k tabletop stopped. I've been playing on and off since 2nd edition and only Chaos. When the Chaos Space Marine codex for the 5th edition came I had enough since I felt that too many special abilities and wargear had been stripped away. I felt that there was no love for actual Chaos and that there was no depth. Now I come back and see that there's no new Chaos Space Marine codex so I ask this:

What would you say if a Chaos player wants to use the Chaos codex from 4th edition?

My reason in short is that the fourth edition codex has Legion-specific rules and much more special weapons and gear and so I can make a proper World Eaters army which is hard to control or a proper Death Guard army with nasty decayed vehicles.

If you want to talk points and rules, then that's alright. If you follow rules very close and don't have an open mind for this suggestion then please keep your response short as this is of course only a suggestion for people with open minds and who want to good and fun games.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

If i were to play someone who asked what you are after then i would request to read the codex first, then decide whether to say yes or no.

In Clubs you would have to check with the people running it.

In GamesWorkshop stores you would not be allowed to use the previous codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I would sit with my opponent and both codices and show him the biggest differences. Do you remember the 4th edition Chaos codex? Actually I would honestly say that the 4th edition has my units a bit more expensive and I can't choose as freely as I want compared to the 5th edition with the exception to Daemons.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

If your opponent is fine with it then go for it. At the end of the day you can change any rules you want as long as your opponent agrees.

For pickup games or if going to GW I would suggest you have another army ready (even if it's CSM 5E) as you can't really argue if someone disagrees, so it's best to have a current army ready.

For tourneys and so on it would obviously be a no-no.

I also really think you should give it a read through and look for anything that may cause rules problems to crop up, and try to sort them out in advance.

I know Legion-specific rules are much lamented so people should at least understand why you want to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I've checked it closely and there shouldn't rise that many problems. A guy I want to play against plays Black Templars and their codex were published after the 4th edition Chaos codex but still before the 5th edition rulebook came and so were also used back in the 4th edition days. Do any of you guys remember that?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

The current Chaos codex IS 4th edition. The one you are thinking of is from 3rd, and no I would not be ok with you using it. The game has drastically changed since that book was written, as any =I= players will agree.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't these Chaos codices for the second, third, fourth and fifth edition, respectively?

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

So why wouldn't you allow it? Would the Chaos codex 4th edition be too good compared with others in your opinion?
    Last edited by Chaospling; January 5th, 2011 at 15:15.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

The current CSM codex came out just before 40k 5th Edition so technically it is the 4E Codex, but is perfectly compatible with 5E. I'm not sure when the previous one came out, but there was definitely one for 2nd and 3rd, so the other one (third one along in the pictures above) came out either during 3E or 4E - I'm not sure which.

On checking, there were two codices released during 3E, in 1999 and 2002. 4E 40k was released in 2004. So the Codex you are referring to is 3E. Depending on compatibility with the new rules I may still allow it personally, but obviously I can't speak for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I see now that the 1st version/printing of the Chaos codex was printed back in 2002 but there were two additional versions/printings which were updated and cleared for bugs and I have the 1st as well as the 3rd version/printing and I'm positively sure that the 3rd version/printing (Can you keep up? I'm still talking about the third codex, the third picture above) didn't come out before 2004.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

That's what I was saying, the one you mean, the "Third Edition Revised", came out in 2002, 2 years before 4th Edition 40k.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast