Dark Eldar FAQ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Eldar FAQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Dark Eldar FAQ

Thanks to Chrispcarter, here it is:

Dark Eldar FAQ

For one, folks can stop arguing about trying to let Harlequins use or gain Pain Tokens.

Secondly, you don't have to actually buy a Kabalite or Trueborn unit to even take the Duke.

Clarification on how Implosion Missiles and such cause tests on a unit.

Lhamaean clarification. I did not realize they can benefit their Archon without him actually being in the unit.

The rest pretty much ensures conforming to the rulebook.

"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

One other big clarification is that the Dais cannot take upgrades. Also, the Voidraven can drop the Void Mine when going flat-out.

I also find it odd that special characters who come stock with certain arcane wargear count against the 1 per army total, while Space Wolves special character's don't count against their powers/wargear rule.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; January 14th, 2011 at 16:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    while Space Wolves special character's don't count against their powers/wargear rule.
    But their rule is about combinations. A single 5pt piece of gear can satisfy the difference. The special DE gear says "one of this per army".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

I wish they had clarified in Reavers: whether the Arena Champion counts as a 'Reaver' for the purposes of Grav-Talon and Cluster Caltrops.

It seems that you would need 3 reg Reavers to get these upgrades...some debate in our gaming group on this.
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I wish they had clarified in Reavers: whether the Arena Champion counts as a 'Reaver' for the purposes of Grav-Talon and Cluster Caltrops.

It seems that you would need 3 reg Reavers to get these upgrades...some debate in our gaming group on this.
    If this were true, wouldn't you need to have a squad of 11 Kabalites if you wanted both a Sybarite and a Dark Lance?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    If this were true, wouldn't you need to have a squad of 11 Kabalites if you wanted both a Sybarite and a Dark Lance?
    No. Because it states: for every 10 models in the squad you may take 1 Splinter cannon or Dark Lance. Not for every 10 Kabalite Warriors in the squad.
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

At any rate, it wouldn't take them too long to fix that. Ask any WHFB players. Every other month they've been tweaking stuff, even if its just one new item. Gotta love this new FAQ system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

one question I have now is about the timing of when pain tokens take effect now that ICs count for a pain token even if they're in a unit. The codex says that you "immediately" gain a token when you wipe a unit. And cross referencing FAQs a bit, the BA FAQ says that you check if you're in range of a priest when you make your attacks, so it doesn't seem out of line to assume that it works the same way for pain tokens. That is, you check how many pain tokens you have, and apply their effects, at the time you make your attacks.

So here is a rather annoying situation. Lets say a squad of incubi with Klaivex and 1 pain token assault a squad of Striking scorpions with a farseer. The klaivex is I6 so goes first killing the farseer, the squad now "immediately" gains a pain token giving it FC. Now the rest of the incubi are I6 as well, but if they are I6 then they are striking at the same time the klaivex did, so how could they benefit from the pain token he is about to earn during that same initiative step? Did they miss the "I6 Boat" and are now stuck attacking simultaneously with the scorpions? Do they strike at I5.5, after the Klaivex but before the scorps? Since during the I6 round they were not I6 and since during the I5 round they were not I5 do they get passed by in some strange time/space anomaly (which RAW might actually be how it works)?

edit: this was possible before the FAQ as well with multiple combats just somewhat less likely.
    Last edited by Bugs_n_Orks; January 14th, 2011 at 20:19.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_n_Orks View Post
    one question I have now is about the timing of when pain tokens take effect now that ICs count for a pain token even if they're in a unit. The codex says that you "immediately" gain a token when you wipe a unit. And cross referencing FAQs a bit, the BA FAQ says that you check if you're in range of a priest when you make your attacks, so it doesn't seem out of line to assume that it works the same way for pain tokens. That is, you check how many pain tokens you have, and apply their effects, at the time you make your attacks.

So here is a rather annoying situation. Lets say a squad of incubi with Klaivex and 1 pain token assault a squad of Striking scorpions with a farseer. The klaivex is I6 so goes first killing the farseer, the squad now "immediately" gains a pain token giving it FC. Now the rest of the incubi are I6 as well, but if they are I6 then they are striking at the same time the klaivex did, so how could they benefit from the pain token he is about to earn during that same initiative step? Did they miss the "I6 Boat" and are now stuck attacking simultaneously with the scorpions? Do they strike at I5.5, after the Klaivex but before the scorps? Since during the I6 round they were not I6 and since during the I5 round they were not I5 do they get passed by in some strange time/space anomaly (which RAW might actually be how it works)?
    The unit didn't have the Furious Charge rule when initiating the assault (when the rules effects are resolved), they gained it only after launching the assault and resolving part of the combat. I don't see any reason they would benefit from it. Though, FnP would certainly apply against lower I attacks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    The unit didn't have the Furious Charge rule when initiating the assault (when the rules effects are resolved) they gained it only after launching the assault and resolving part of the combat.
    but this is not when the rule is resolved. From the rulebook:
    "In a turn in which they assaulted into combat they add +1 to both their Initiative and Strength characteristics when attacking in close combat"

and from the BA FAQ:
    Q: At what point does a model need to be in range of a
    Blood Chalice or The Red Grail in order to gain the
    bonuses of Furious Charge?(p48, 49, 52)
    A: When you put the bonuses to use, i.e. when the model
    makes its close combat attacks.

So it isn't until the model actually makes its attacks that you check to see if it has FC. So for example a unit that started out of range of a priest, but after its assault move was now in range would get the bonus. While a unit that has a priest attached to it when assaulting, but has their priest killed at a higher Initiative step would lose their FC and FnP for the lower initiative steps. All that matters is whether you have launched an assault that turn and do you have FC when you go to make your attacks.

Suppose in the same situation it was an I7 Archon instead of a Klaivex. Now the second pain token kicks in for the I6 round and there should be no argument that the incubi can make use of the +1 I.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast