Ok, probably a dumb fall back question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, probably a dumb fall back question

When a unit is falling back and has not regrouped yet, does it do its fallback move at the very beginning of the player's movement phase, or can it wait until some other units have moved first? I ask because the necron monolith can teleport a unit (including one which is falling back) during the movement phase (unclear if it counts as the monolith movement or the unit's movement), but the unit in question is 2" from running off the table, so I want to know if they can be teleported to a place where they might not run off the board. I have looked through all the FAQs I could find, as well as the 40k rulebook and the necron codex but not found anything. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fallback moves occur BEFORE the player turn begins. Then movement phase. The whole thing about "including one which is falling back" is a statement of status as the unit is considered to be falling back until it regroups or leaves the table.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

I usually play the same way as Commissar_Cain (like almost everyone I know). However I cannot for the life of me find in the rulebook where it says units that are falling back must test before other units move or act.

All the rulebook says is, "...just before they move". Doesn't make any specifications other than that as far as I can see.

Anyone else find something in the book or FAQ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always played the same way as Hockeyman506 and Comissar_Cain, but just as Hockeyman506 i can not seem to find anywhere it says that you need to make the fall back move at the start of the turn. just that you need to do it during the movement turn...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a compulsory move. Thats the reason. All compulsory moves are made before any other movement.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Having read through the rules, it does say that the Regroup roll is made before the relevant Falling Back unit makes their move, but doesn't specifically state that it is done before any other unit moves. Under the "Fall Back!" rules, it also does not specify that the unit in question has to roll for their fall back distance before the Movement Phase actually starts for real.

What I read is that other units can indeed make their moves *before* the owning player turns his attention to the unit which is falling back. So the regrouping test can be done at any stage of the Movement Phase. If the unit passed its regroup test then it could make a 3" consolidation move followed by the teleportation move via the Monolith, since the consolidation move is considered a Move outside the Movement Phase and thus would allow them to be teleported but only to disembark without further moving.

If the regroup test was failed, the Monolith would NOT be able to teleport this unit away from their own table edge because that is a) contrary to the rules for falling back and b) would initiate the rules concerning doubling back (Trapped!) which would instantly destroy the unit.

I hasten to add that I too have always played it that Regrouping Tests/Falling Back rolls were completed before any other units began their movement phase, but I think that this was more to do with "Don't forget the Falling Back/Regrouping" rather than anything else! Having read the rules now, I begin to wonder was I doing this right?

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar_Cain View Post
    Its a compulsory move. Thats the reason. All compulsory moves are made before any other movement.
    Show me where in the book it says this. I'm not being snarky, either, I just can't find it.

If the regroup test was failed, the Monolith would NOT be able to teleport this unit away from their own table edge because that is a) contrary to the rules for falling back and b) would initiate the rules concerning doubling back (Trapped!) which would instantly destroy the unit.
    How do you mean? I can't find anything breaking the rules about using the monolith to teleport a unit that is falling back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... Having gone through the book from cover to cover, Im stumped. The only reference in the entire book with the word compulsory in it is the first page of the movement phase section which says that random and compulsory moves will be discussed later in the book, but thats it. Though you are correct that the Fall Back rules do seem to say that they merely fall back during the movement phase, and not at any particular time. Perhaps im crossing editions and such things were the norm in previous ones which are not current. Sorry. Though I still would be doing them before any other moves anyway.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Yeah, I have no idea. I've gone over the rulebook several times and can't find anything either. I would definitely agree that regroup rolls should take place before normal movement, but apparently 40k doesn't distinguish that like Fantasy does.

Odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I think its a throwback from previous editions; one we dutifully kept to because the change itself was not spelled out, only omitted.

I guess it gives one a chance to move a "Fearless bubble" unit first (like a Synapse creature), in order to help a unit Regroup.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast