difference between proxi and converted? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

difference between proxi and converted?

Ok I would like to aim this at UK players only as i have been told there are some differences (small) between US tournaments and UK ones.

Well I played Orks today and fielded a choopa squad as Kommandos (proxing as they had no stickybombs)
    Now i loved how they performed and want to convert the choopa boys to be kommandos.
    Now from what i see the only difference between a choopa boy and a Kommando is the sticky bombs.
    They are the same ork
    the wargear is all the same but the stickibomb
    From the pictures the only thing i can see that is different is that kommandos tend to have gas type mask on ( but not mentioned in war gear and not all of them do) and a back pack which looks mainly used to carry sticky bombs if they down want them in their hand.

So what im asking this if i take choopa boys and put stickibombs on each model and give them a paint job to match the idea of kommandos is that me proxing a model or is it just a kommando ????

On this would this be fine at a tournament as i know the only rules seem to be WYSISYG and a % of the model must be GW.

As far as i see by definition it is now a kommando.
    Its no different to me chopping the arms of normal orks to put burna or loota arm's/guns on to make them them.

Or taking a normal Space marine and taking his arms off and putting on the arms/ weapon (ML or HB or lascannnon etc) to make it a devistator.

Or making my tank so i can have it as a razorback or rhino.

where as proxi is like when i used some big shootas as lootas as i didn't have enough lootas.

thanks for any help as i would like to make these models and want something to stop my friend from moaning that im proxing.

Last edited by Rafici; February 5th, 2011 at 22:20.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Your examples would all be fine at any UK tournament I can think of up to and including throne of skulls. Big shootas as Lootas, however, as you pointed out would be proxying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

Thanks - So would you say what i want to be would be kommandos (all be it converted choopa boys) but kommandos for every sense of the word

On a side note what about: generally fine fluff wise as well as i know it suggests that stormboys tend to become kommandos but then i would have to chop of the jump packs to get a model that looks exactly the same as a choopa boy.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

116 (x4)

It is absolutely fine. Some conversions are far more out there and still perfectly legal. My Wracks that I used at the tournament last month were Warhammer Ghouls with Tyranid arms stuck on them as liquifier guns. Their acothysts were old style Wyche Succubi. I used the same miniatures as grotesques last edition because Ididn't like the grotesque models, never had a problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

Thanks - i have repped you.

Can others just confirm (just so i more than one person agree) as well that what I am making would be in all sense of the word and for any UK tournament Legal and very legal not just about legal.

I have bought the bitz now i also got a couple of storm boy's heads as Stormboys turn into kommando's and stikkibombz as well as some blades to replace some of the axi's as the kommandos seem to have a mixture of the two.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

I'm in agreement with Karantalsis, so long as when you are done the wargear on the model matches the wargear in the codex then it is a conversion and is perfectly fine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

WYSIWYG is King

as long as its exactly what it should be and its clearly seen as such then its straight up fine

im using tau seeker missles as big bomm's on my deathkopptas
    Xv8's as killa kans and my battle wagon is
    2 Chimera's
    a rhino
    A ion cannon (kill kannon)
    an Auto cannon (kannon)
    2 Smart missile pods (2x rokkit luancher)
    a old ork turkk (oop model)
    a new ork trukk ( the sexy spur)

it meassures
    7" across front / rear facing
    6" long side facings
    and is approx 3" high from base to top of IoN cannon

i also have a normal ork boy converted to carry a Tau XV88 railgun hes now a mega loota (appoc games) or in normal games jsut a normal loota

my deff dread (old metal model) has a burst cannon for a big shoota

hope all of those help you along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Ok, confusion yesterday then. Converting them is fine. If you physically change them to match what a commando should be thats fine. Just sticking stikkbombs on the aobr boys is NOT wysiwyg commandos, its ork boys with sugga, choppas and the stickbomb upgrade. Just by looking at them you can't tell that they are kommandos.

Do something to make them different from the normal boys and thats wysiwyg. Fair enough if that is painting a cammo scheme on them, putting on alternative heads attaching foliage, greenstuffing masks, adding lots of knives or even writing the words I'm a Kommando across their backs, but someone needs to be able to walk up to the table and recognise that what they are looking at are commandos and not just [blood axe] boyz with the stickbomb upgrade and a green shirt.
    Last edited by matus; February 6th, 2011 at 16:20.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by matus View Post
    Raf, i think you were missing my point slightly and the point you are arguing here is different from the one you started yesterday. Converting them is fine, you just said you could use the boyz from AOBR as kommandos because they were orks and had choppas and sluggas, you never mentioned stormboy heads or actual conversions. If you physically change them to match what a commando should be thats fine. Just sticking stikkbombs on the aobr boys is NOT wysiwyg commandos, its ork boys with sugga, choppas and the stickbomb upgrade. Just by looking at them you can't tell that they are kommandos.

Do something to make them DIFFERENT from the normal boys and thats wysiwyg. Fair enough if that is painting a cammo scheme on them, putting on alternative heads attaching foliage, greenstuffing masks, adding lots of knives or even writing the words I'm a Kommando across their backs, but someone needs to be able to walk up to the table and recognise that what they are looking at are commandos and not just [blood axe] boyz with the stickbomb upgrade and a green shirt.

By the same logic it would not be fair for me to turn up to a tournament, put 20 identically painted and modelled guardsmen on the table and say those 10 are veterans and those 10 are infantrymen. I should mark out my vets with extra equipment, bionics, head swaps or whatever. In our own friendly games I'd do that, just as you use big shootas as lootas etc, but for wysiwyg I'd say it was a bit unfair.

PS I' the friend, I don't mind proxying in our games and I'm all up for converting, I ust said that in a public situation just painting the aobr boys a different colour would not make proper wysiwyg kommands, a little conversion and thats fine. Oh and I wasn't moaning ;-)
    I'll say it here as well in messages what i said here about the stikkibombs is what i said I dont need to do anything else to normal choopa boys to make Kommando's the rest is completely up to me as i can paint anything however i want it.
    If someone walks up to a table and sees an ork with a choopa/slugga and stikkibomb it is either a choopa boy with the upgrade or a kommando. So they should ask the person fielding. Hell i can't tell the difference between half of your IG troops so i just ask. If i was to paint a DE army just bright pink which anybody could do could you look at it and say what every unit is on the table without asking the owner or checking WYSIWYG????

I have been very clear this is not proxing, like what i did with big shootas as lootas this would be a converted kommando so a Kommando no matter what head i put on (as they will have storm boy heads not kkommando heads) or however i paint them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

116 (x4)

For WYSIWYG I've seen people use Ork Boyz with Stikkbombs as Kommandos, but they didn't have Slugga Boyz in the list as well. If you have both then a different paint scheme is enough to make them WYSIWYG, even without any further conversion. As long as you make things clear to your opponent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast