Deployment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deployment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deployment

I've got a question. I just had my first games with the marines form the assault on black reach box against a tau player. I got to go first and I set my marines on the table. he goes second and says that he wouldn't deploy anything. I get my turn one where I get to do nothing and then during his turn one, he just has his entire army march on the table.
    He said he can do that, but I can't find anything of in the rulebook. You either deploy your army or you place it in reserves completely wright? you can't just have it all come in on your first turn or can you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not that familiar with tau, but no he can't just deploy his army in the first turn without any sort of consequences. But the next time you play against him and he want to do the same just challenge him and ask what kinda rule he got that let's him deploy his whole army in the first turn.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bolterguy View Post
    He said he can do that, but I can't find anything of in the rulebook. You either deploy your army or you place it in reserves completely wright? you can't just have it all come in on your first turn or can you?
    You can place and much or as little of your army in reserves as you want. You then have to roll for units in reserves from turn 2 onwards (with exceptions, such as drop pods). You'll find the reserves rule on page 94.

A special exception to this is the dawn of war setup type (with nightfighting) - you can place up to one HQ and two troops choices and the rest of the army starts off the table - all of it if you want. Undeployed units then walk onto the board in the first turn, except for those units held in reserve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

The first thing we need to know is what type of deployment where you two doing? Was it Dawn of War? If it was then there was nothing wrong with what the Tau player did. But if you were just playing a basic game i.e Pitched Battle and Anihilation then what the Tau player did was illegal.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheShad0w View Post
    The first thing we need to know is what type of deployment where you two doing? Was it Dawn of War? If it was then there was nothing wrong with what the Tau player did. But if you were just playing a basic game i.e Pitched Battle and Anihilation then what the Tau player did was illegal.
    Actually there is no stipulation in any of the Deployment types that requires either player to put out any models at all. The special rule "Reserves" is available in all situations, and the BRB says that the player may
    choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army
    There is no minimum amount required, but apart from Dawn of War it would be a pretty strange thing to do.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Yes while that is true, my point is that if they werent playing Dawn of War then the Tau player could not have moved his forces onto the gaming board from reserve on turn 1, as you can not do that. Units in reserve can only turn up on turn 2 and onwards, starting with a roll of 4+. Perhaps you should answer the OPs question instead of picking to pieces people's replies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

I'm not intending to pick apart anyone's reply, and I'm sorry if you felt that I was doing that to yours. Perhaps I should have made it more clear in my final sentence that the other scenarios would indeed require a Reserve roll to be made for every unit not on the table. I did answer the OP's question, but putting up a better last sentence would have been more appropriate.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Np, i didnt' really read your post fully either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the replies.
    I should have noted what we were playing. to understand the basics of the game, we were playing annihilation games according to the pitched battle deployment. So his wins are actually illegal. haha, I'll make sure to tell him today!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

596 (x8)

Yep, that's correct using Annihilation and Pitched Battle, as he would not have been able to field anything at all in Turn One if everything was staying off the table in Reserve, and he would have had to roll for every unit in Turn Two and so on.

Dawn of War is a different kettle of fish altogether.

E.

+ Reply to Thread