Bladevanes cover saves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Bladevanes cover saves

The DE bladesvanes entry says it allows cover saves as normal, but what does normal mean for this situation?

Recently an opponent tried to argue that it meant that if his unit would have recieved a cover save from a shooting attack that came from where the reavers started, then he would get a cover save from bladevanes.

I am of the opinion that it would function more like a barrage in that you would only really get a cover save form area terrain that you are standing in. (in this case there was a rock pile between my reavers and his squad but it was a good 6-8" away from his men)

Has anyone else had this come up? How would you deal with it?

(I ended up just giving it to him since I was bladevaning an IG SWS with 9 reavers)

The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

Personally, it seems that the attack happens at the point of contact. I would allow area terrain, and perhaps if +50% were standing up against a wall or other feature (ducking behind it to avoid the blades).
    At the beginning of turn 1, I spray my opponent's army with the bacon flavored spray. Then I unleash my Boston Terrier Squiggoth who then devours their entire bacon flavored army! There is no defense against her cuteness! All are doomed!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

It means if you are in cover and the cover save is better than your armour save then you can use it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_n_Orks View Post
    The DE bladesvanes entry says it allows cover saves as normal, but what does normal mean for this situation?

Recently an opponent tried to argue that it meant that if his unit would have recieved a cover save from a shooting attack that came from where the reavers started, then he would get a cover save from bladevanes.

I am of the opinion that it would function more like a barrage in that you would only really get a cover save form area terrain that you are standing in. (in this case there was a rock pile between my reavers and his squad but it was a good 6-8" away from his men)

Has anyone else had this come up? How would you deal with it?

(I ended up just giving it to him since I was bladevaning an IG SWS with 9 reavers)
    Bladevanes are a movement based attack that pays no heed to its origin for damage caused other than it must be at least 18" in travel.

There is no 'point of contact' needed with a described line (the only points being the start and the end of that line) and I agree with Mr Shadow, if the unit affected is 'in' cover then use those rules for it.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Wicky; March 23rd, 2011 at 03:00.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Wicky, you're not required to move at least 18" when Turbo-Boosting. That's only a requirement to claim the 3+ cover save.

I think the minimum move requirement was something from 4e.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    Wicky, you're not required to move at least 18" when Turbo-Boosting. That's only a requirement to claim the 3+ cover save.

I think the minimum move requirement was something from 4e.
    Um, quite right mate, I stand corrected!

Thanks.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

You cannot use the rules for barrage as it does not say for you to do so.

My intepretation is that if the unit is behind cover (terrain or another unit) when the reavers fly past them - going over the cover in the process - then you get cover. If you are in area terrain, then you always get cover from the bladevanes.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Agreed.
    My intepretation is that if the unit is behind cover (terrain or another unit) when the reavers fly past them - going over the cover in the process - then you get cover.
    Why would you allow this as interviening cover can not block the movement? And it is a movement attack, not a shooting attack.
    If you are in area terrain, then you always get cover from the bladevanes.
    Again agreed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

Perhaps I was unclear. I'm not saying I think the barrage rules should actually be used, I'm saying I think that determining cover saves in this situation should be done in a manner similar to how it is done for barrage weapons (ie: you only get a cover save if you are in area terrain, or if you have some kind of wargear/rule that gives you one).
    My interpretation is that if the unit is behind cover (terrain or another unit) when the reavers fly past them - going over the cover in the process - then you get cover.
    Where are the rules that say you may do this? All of the rules for determining if a model gets a cover save are in reference to "the point of view of the firer" (with the one exception being if the target is in area terrain), and since no models are firing weapons in this case (in fact since they are boosting they are expressly forbidden from firing), how do you determine the "firer's" point of view?

And if you claim that using bladevanes is analogous to firing a weapon another problem arises. The damage from bladevanes happens after the unit has moved.
    Once the move is complete the unit inflicts D* S* AP* hits on one unengaged, non-vehicle unit...
    So since the hits are not inflicted until after the unit has reached its new position shouldn't you check "the point of view of the firer" from there? (Which certainly doesn't seem right at all)

At least that's how I see it.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

+ Reply to Thread