Target Acquisition with Transported models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Target Acquisition with Transported models

Greetings all,
    I have a simple question: Can units embarked in a transport fire at a different target than the vehicle in question?

My Raider wants to fire at my opponent's Storm Raven.
    My warriors want to fire at the assault marines.

Is this legit?

Please provide page number and reference. (I am certain I saw it somewhere, but I need to be able to prove it)

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

No page number is gonna give ya that one. It's not said directly, but the two are still separate units and there are no rules forcing them fire at the same target. (If they don't have to fire at the same time, why would you have to shoot the same target?)

That said, I'm fairly sure there is an item for this in the main rulebook FAQ.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

There is a page number for this, actually, but it's so disassociated from the vehicles/units sections etc it's easy to miss. Check out P.92 BRB under Multiple Unit Choices. It clearly says that vehicles and units mounted within are separate units in all respects (barring being bought as a single choice). It does not restrict this to dedicated transports only either; there is a "like" and an "etc" included in the bracketed phrase!

As for the FAQ, psichotykwyrm is quite right. There is this:

Q: Must passengers fire at the same target that their vehicle is firing at? (p66)
    A: No, they are a separate unit (albeit they are temporarily co-existing with the vehicle) and so can fire at a different target.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    There is a page number for this, actually, but it's so disassociated from the vehicles/units sections etc it's easy to miss. Check out P.92 BRB under Multiple Unit Choices. It clearly says that vehicles and units mounted within are separate units in all respects (barring being bought as a single choice). It does not restrict this to dedicated transports only either; there is a "like" and an "etc" included in the bracketed phrase!
    Hmmm... I had always thought that was only in context to units & choices.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Just extending on this -

So the buildings on page 81that are treated exactly as an immobile transport vehicle can split fire between targets? Interesting since the original question is about 'models embarked in a transport.'

The bastion and the Fortress should never split fire because they are not 'crewed' at any time but note well that the Fortress is more than just one building and so can have multiple targets.
    Last edited by Wicky; April 4th, 2011 at 03:34. Reason: Change of mind in the last paragraph.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread