2 " Coherency Rule ! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was playing a game last night were the Necron player had his army set up 2" apart as per the coherency rules. I fire a Barbed Strangler at it (uses 5" template) and hit, i place the template so that one of his men/robots were under the centre and to my shock that was it , no other model was under it. Now my point is this what is the point of a templated weapon if you can only hit one model, i know not everyone would keep the 2"s but if poeple did it would make templated weapons inaffective. I can't see anyone using the smaller template now What is your views on this as i see it as a big upset in the rules, before you covered as many troops as you could, now you can be reduced to one hit just by sticking to the rules, surley the template should be a little bit bigger as the only one worth using is the flamer :hmm: :huh:

If it lives it will be consumed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

You should have been able to get at least 2 or 3, if not then his units weren't in coherency. The template is 5" across, you have the centre over a model... Then the next ones are 2 inches away, from the centre is 2.5".
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, you were quite cheated, that or your template is so worn from use it has actually partially disintegrated along the edges... it's more probable that your rival is either a cheater or a moron, though.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite. If the center is exactly over the model's head,in the center of a 1" round base, it takes 1/2 inch to get to the edge of the centered base. Then 2 more inches to get to the outer edge of the nearest miniature. So if spaced at the exact 2" distance the adjacent model is actually 2.5" from the center point of the template. Not a common occurance during games but certainly possible. Its unusual as it spreads a 10 man squad over about 28" inches linear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by WolfRaider@Oct 9 2004, 08:49
    Not quite. If the center is exactly over the model's head,in the center of a 1" round base, it takes 1/2 inch to get to the edge of the centered base. Then 2 more inches to get to the outer edge of the nearest miniature. So if spaced at the exact 2" distance the adjacent model is actually 2.5" from the center point of the template. Not a common occurance during games but certainly possible. Its unusual as it spreads a 10 man squad over about 28" inches linear.
    [snapback]226322[/snapback]
    you are right the bases are 1" hence you only cover 1 model, you measure from base egde to base edge making it 2.5" from the next unit/model. As for across the table not so as if you have a second line behind them at 2" they also are out of reach remember the template is round. I would say to the other passing comment to setting up a squad making sure there 2" base to base and put the template over them ..you will see ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by nottoc@Oct 9 2004, 02:25
    As for across the table not so as if you have a second line behind them at 2" they also are out of reach remember the template is round.
    [snapback]226330[/snapback]
    Hence the words "about" and "linear" in my reply.

You could have two rows of 5 minis, each row 2" apart, each row 13" long; 3 rows of 3 minis and a single mini in the back; a large circle about 8" in diameter and 30" in circumference; or any of many formations.

But even a three row setup would take a relatively large area and take a lot of measuring to exactly space each time it moved. Unlikely to happen often, which was the point. :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by WolfRaider@Oct 9 2004, 09:38
    Hence the words "about" and "linear" in my reply.

You could have two rows of 5 minis, each row 2" apart, each row 13" long; 3 rows of 3 minis and a single mini in the back; a large circle about 8" in diameter and 30" in circumference; or any of many formations.

But even a three row setup would take a relatively large area and take a lot of measuring to exactly space each time it moved. Unlikely to happen often, which was the point. :wacko:
    [snapback]226337[/snapback]
    sorry miss read the linear bit , also we played on a 8' by 5' table as this was a 4 way 1500 point battle, this Necron player does set up his troops like this about 2 or 3 deep. SM could also use this a there squads aren't that big. As for me a Nids player even the table we play on wouldn't be big enough for me to do that so i normally get about 7 hit on the 5" template until my brood drops down in size by which time i'm in ya face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello!!

The necron player was me and to those that said it was cheating, well someone really ought to learn how to do basic calculations shouldn't they?

It does really space out the troops and in certain situations it's just not usable but when you have to cover a large area of open ground it makes sense to space everyone out as much as possible to avoid taking too many hits from area effect weapons.

Real troops do the same.

The main area of conflict was that before you could have placed the template over an area and it would cover 4 models. Now because the template has to be centered over a model, if they are spaced out correctly then you can only hit 1 model.

We sort of decided that as a house rule we wouldn't allow the measurement of distances between models by the moving player. Then at the end of the turn the other player could call for a distance check and if there were models out of coherency then the unit wouldn't be able to do anything that turn. This should mean that if you do want to push the limits sometimes you might screw it up and have to pay the consequences.

What do the rest of you think of this house rule?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah forgot to mention - the other thing we decided was that you weren't allowed to get the template and place it over every model in the opponents unit to see where it would get the most.

You chose your target and then placed your template.

Just wondered how other people play this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I space my models out, but making them that far is just unsportly IMO. Real troops wouldn't cram together, but in a unit an accurate rocket will harm more than one man. Plus to get maximum advantage of cover people would have to stand in small groups at the best spot.

Individually checking the coherency of every model in every unit every turn because you are trying to space them as far as you possibly can is just a waste of time. People pay extra points for ordnance weapons so they will hurt several models, let them.

BTW, spaced out that far wouldn't you lose cover for most of your models and it would be as much a disadvantage?
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast