Drop Pod moving part - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Pod moving part

Can I place my drop pod without opening it after I deep striked on the table?
    If I do open so, do my passengers counting the 2 inches from the "stairs" or the pod body?
    And if I open it, the landing gears touch the impassable/difficult terrain, dose it count as landing on it?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jestersze
    Can I place my drop pod without opening it after I deep striked on the table?
    If I do open so, do my passengers counting the 2 inches from the "stairs" or the pod body?
    And if I open it, the landing gears touch the impassable/difficult terrain, dose it count as landing on it?
    thanks
    1) I don't really know if you must open the doors or not. I don't really think they count as part of the model except for coolness of doors opening up and wham, people's coming out guns blazing.

2) The models disembarking from the drop pod stay 2 inches away from the drop pod model, assuming the doors are closed or don't exist. That's how I've always played and seen played. Otherwise the arm length would make drop pods broken.

3) Most, if not all drop pods have the special rule allowing you to never ever hit difficult or dangerous terrain by subtracting how ever many inches you need to avoid hitting something, foe or friend. (This doesn't stop you from flying off the edge of the table though. I could be wrong on that, been a while since I drop podded an army onto the board.) But with the special rule in place, the whole point is to land safely. Therefore, arms extending out do not count as part of the drop pod model if it touches difficult or dangerous terrain. Now be warned though. The drop pod may not suffer from the terrain. But models disembarking will. So don't run your men through dangerous terrain right out of the pod.
    Last edited by Starplice; July 19th, 2011 at 22:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starplice View Post
    1) I don't really know if you must open the doors or not. I don't really think they count as part of the model except for coolness of doors opening up and wham, people's coming out guns blazing.

2) The models disembarking from the drop pod stay 2 inches away from the drop pod model, assuming the doors are closed or don't exist. That's how I've always played and seen played. Otherwise the arm length would make drop pods broken.

3) Most, if not all drop pods have the special rule allowing you to never ever hit difficult or dangerous terrain by subtracting how ever many inches you need to avoid hitting something, foe or friend. (This doesn't stop you from flying off the edge of the table though. I could be wrong on that, been a while since I drop podded an army onto the board.) But with the special rule in place, the whole point is to land safely. Therefore, arms extending out do not count as part of the drop pod model if it touches difficult or dangerous terrain. Now be warned though. The drop pod may not suffer from the terrain. But models disembarking will. So don't run your men through dangerous terrain right out of the pod.
    I think 1) is very important because I can block enemy LOS easily and protect my landing troops when I don't need to open it
    2) and 3) are just extensions of 1).

jboweruk

No, LOS is always through the drop pod, as the doors are assumed to have opened as soon as it hit the deck. So even if you leave them closed in reality for all game purposes they are open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jboweruk View Post
    No, LOS is always through the drop pod, as the doors are assumed to have opened as soon as it hit the deck. So even if you leave them closed in reality for all game purposes they are open.
    May you have any reference? thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

No i read (sorry dont remember where) but it is the choice of the players to decide on the drop pod and wiether people can shoot through them or not not matter what the model is like. If both sides have drop pods and one has his glued up and one doesn't, you must have the same ruling.
    I.e can see through them (act as open) or can't (act as closed)
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the fact they are classed as open-topped vehicles gives us a hint in this area, although it's still open for interpretation.

Regarding the OP, doors on drop-pods (just as any other vehicle) are for ornamental purposes only. You can't drop the hatch on a Rhino or Landraider and gain extra distance.
    There are three types of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who cannot.

jboweruk

Exactly, if you look in the codex it explains there how a drop pod works, then it is classed as open topped and immobilised for all intents and purposes, and if my opponent still rules I can't shoot through it, I'll simply point out it can't shoot out either as the doors are shut.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Indeed the doors are for the coolness factor of it all.You might glue them shut if you will.You still have line of sight through them and you dont use them for anything distance related.They always count as opened.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Page 69, Drop pod entry in the Marine codex: "Once deployed the drop pod is no longer a sealed environment and is therefore counted as being open-topped."

Thus meaning it counts as open when it lands regardless of whether it is modelled as such or not.

~ Acarna

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast