Cover Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cover Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, these questions came up the other night during a friendly game at a friend's house.

Two scenarios here:

First, let's say I have a unit in cover directly behind a bunch of barrels. They are about the height of the typical space marine, but with spaces in between. I understand that when he fires at me, I get a 5+ cover save. Now, when I return fire, do HIS units get the cover save as well (since the cover IS interposed between us) or is it assumed that my guys can fire between the barrels since they are next to them?

Second, let's say that there's a chest-high piece of terrain (it was some kind of metal wall thing) equidistant between the two of us. We were both about 8" from it. Does it count as cover for both parties assuming both have LOS and are of appropriate size to gain use from the cover?

The rulebook isn't particularly clear about either of these. The way we played it was in the first case, my hiding guys got the cover save but his units away from the cover did not. In the second case, we played it that both units got the cover saves. Was this correct? If so, where do you draw the line between scenario 1 and scenario 2? We decided that base-to-base contact with the cover meant that you can effectively shoot around it....is that right?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Ylide+Oct 16 2004, 01:58--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ylide &#064; Oct 16 2004, 01:5</div><div class='quotemain'>Two scenarios here:

First, let&#39;s say I have a unit in cover directly behind a bunch of barrels. They are about the height of the typical space marine, but with spaces in between. I understand that when he fires at me, I get a 5+ cover save. Now, when I return fire, do HIS units get the cover save as well (since the cover IS interposed between us) or is it assumed that my guys can fire between the barrels since they are next to them?
    [/b]

When you return fire the other unit does not get a cover save, because your guys will fire between the barrels. Look at it this way. If you were stood behind some barrels would any of your shots hit the barrels you were stood next to?

<!--QuoteBegin-Ylide
    @Oct 16 2004, 01:58
    Second, let&#39;s say that there&#39;s a chest-high piece of terrain (it was some kind of metal wall thing) equidistant between the two of us. We were both about 8" from it. Does it count as cover for both parties assuming both have LOS and are of appropriate size to gain use from the cover?
    [/quote]

This can be played one of two pays. It either counts as cover for both parties because it is between them when they fire OR it counts as cover for neither party because neither is within 6" of it so the other troops are assumed to be able to see over it.

Easiest way to check is LOS from models head. If they can see the base of the models they are firing at then a cover save is not applicable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First the easy one, page 25, "...ignore cover occupied by or in contact with the firers unless the target is in the same cover." So if you&#39;re in cover and are the shooter the cover does not get in your way unless the enemy is in that cover as well (such as two units in a forest).

The hard part is the cover in between two units but neither unit is actually "in" or touching the cover. It only counts as cover if it partially blocks the LOS of the shooter (rulebook page 25, &#39;When do Models Count as in Cover&#39. So you have to get down to model level, sight along the LOS and see if it is in the way. If it is, then the target gets a cover save. This applies in both directions.

As to when to draw the line: You&#39;ll either have to define what areas are actually &#39;in&#39; cover according to each piece of terrain, or make a blanket house rule covering when models are considered in cover. We use the model must be in contact or up to 1" away. That means a standard 1" base touching, and one guy behind him touching the first one&#39;s base. That&#39;s two rows of base to base troops directly behind the cover.

This is for all situations where the exact cover is not defined. I try and build terrain so that the base extends far enough out to define the actual cover area. For example a wall is on a base that extends two inches out. You can put two marines base to base behind it standing on the terrain base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input. Guess I missed a line in the book that could have cleared that first part up for me. :blush:

I sorta figured the first part out, I just wanted to run it by someone else as he was briefly trying to argue it with me. The advice from both of you on the second part was very useful.
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I always thought you needed to be in base contact with cover to get a save from it, so in the second case neither player would.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve heard (but I&#39;m not sure), that if not all models are in cover, noone benefits from it, but those outside are removed first. I find this a good rule, and it doesn&#39;t make players argue which are in cover and not, what saves they have and what type they are. And you should hide all you troops&#33;&#33;&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought you needed to be in base contact with cover to get a save from it, so in the second case neither player would.
    I&#39;ve heard (but I&#39;m not sure), that if not all models are in cover, noone benefits from it, but those outside are removed first.
    Time for a review of the new cover rules on page 25, particularly &#39;When Do Models Count As In Cover&#39; and &#39;Units Partially In Cover&#39; as both these statements are incorrect. The partially in cover rules are a significant change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Cool, I&#39;ll check it out. I&#39;m still adapting from 3rd ed...
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

+ Reply to Thread