List hammering or not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

List hammering or not?

I recently played a large game, not a tournament or anything, just a casual game, Vanilla Marines + Guard vs Tau + Chaos, before the game started, I asked what we were playing against (before lists were made at all). Knowing that I was going to be fighting marines, I included Tau sniper drones in my list, For those that don't know, they have S6 AP 3 weapons. When we started deploying, the marine player commented "Oh, look, he's list hammering."

What I'd like to know, as I've never been to a tournament or like..serious play, is are you allowed to know what army you are fighting prior to either side making a list? It seems to me, that because I only play 1 army in a casual store environment, I'm at a disadvantage vs players with multiple armies who can switch at will before they play me, but they know what I'm going to field most of the time due to my limited model/army selection. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Opponents are typically randomly assigned, as well as the fact that you typically need a set army list before play begins, making list tailoring basically impossible.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

That's definitely not how "serious play" works. Neither is it very sporting in non-competitive games to tailor your list pre-game.

Ideally, each player should show the other their list at the same time before deployment. There shouldn't be a chance for "sidebars", unless you have agreed on such a thing.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Agreed with the above. Even in casual games when people ask me what army I'm playing, I won't tell them. At the same time I won't ask them what they are playing and if they do....well....I don't change anything.

More of a challenge to build a list that can handle any type of army out there. Teaches you how to be a better player as well.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I have this problem with a regular opponent. He always asks what I'm using ( which is nearly always chaos warriors in fantasy)
    he will then convineiently not finish his list till just before the game. If your army struggles hugely perhaps knowing your opponent so you don't take useless units is fine. More than 1or2 very effective units is getting into the realms of unsportsmanlike unless of course that's your usual list!

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play with a quite a big casual group and understand your problem. We have decided on some simple fair rules which would ik make it more fair for everyone. We have several players, I myself play with Tyranids, and others play, IG, DE, SW, Tau, GK, Eldar, Orks and CSP. So quite a lot of armies and several players play with a number of armies, I myself play with only the nids. Sometimes we decide beforehand we paly against a certain player at which you are more then allowed to tailor your list to your opponent. He has the same advantage as well. At other times we make our lists first and then randomly roll who plays againts who. But what army whomever plays is always told beforehand. To keep it more fair.
    Not al players are always present, and if for example only 4 players are present, you Tailor you list against your potential 3 opponents, and if one of them has 2 armies they have to say first which army they are using, because they know which one your using as well.

There are quite simple and fair rules and when playing with friends it seems logic to me that they want to play as fair as possible as well. If I know i'm facing, IG, SW or GK my list certainly is going to keep in mind that i'm most likely gonna be facing some marines.
    Nom, Nom, Nom, the tyranids eat yow face

jboweruk

At the club I belong to we are all encouraged to have a list pre-made before the evening comes around. We may have an idea what we'll be facing such as in our recent 'Black Crusade' campaign where I knew we'd be against SoB's and Templars, but not exactly, as they will be tailoring their list each game too. But that way it's fairer, as neither side could tailor their list to what/who they are playing, though it can be a pain in the backside against Tau of course, especially as our Tau player is also our only truly competition class player. By that I mean he came 2nd in a national tournament playing BA, he lost to the old Witch Hunters codex.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

We try to make sure that before our gaming day starts, everyone already has a list. This is mostly because of the time it takes some people to make a list.
    Besides that, adjusting your list at the last moment is pretty bad. It's a bit unsportsmanshiplike. If at all you want to tailor your list on your opponents' we make sure that both players know what army they will be facing before anything is written. That way both sides have the same chance of getting a good list.
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Senior Member Librarian Zahariel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Seeing as none of the players had written a list beforehand then I don't see what the problem is. Do you think the opponents didn't take into account that they were playing against Tau + Chaos and factor that in to their unit selection?

Generally it's best for you to have your list prepared before gaming for the reasons mentioned above (time, improving your game/list etc) Best thing is to just write a list to try and take on all comers and if it doesn't work? Try, try, try again

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

I usually prepare my list before i go to the store and stick to it.Where is the fun and challenge in tailoring lists?
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast