6+ armour save and a question about the direction of movement. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6+ armour save and a question about the direction of movement.

These arose from our first couple of games of Assault on Black Reach. We've scoured the rulebook but can't find the answers. Any help gratefully appreciated...

1) Ork Boyz have an armour save of 6+. Does this mean "roll a 6 or more to save them" and what does "or more" mean in the context of rolling a 6? You can't roll more than a 6 so why the +? (We get that the boltguns of the space marines will negate the Ork Boyz' armour save anyway, but we just wanted to understand what the 6+ actually means)

2) Movement phase - does the 6" move have to be in a single direction or could I move 4" right and then 2" straight on, eg to get around a corner?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

1) i think that it is just a formality. Or maybe, there is an effect that gives 1 point less to armour save (i do not know if that exists, it is just speculation) and if your save was 6 without the + a "not so funny" guy might argue that you can save only at 5 (and not 6)

2) yes you can even run a circle and get back in place if you wish
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

1) Its that way in case anything ever came along to modify your roll. There's nothing to modify armor saves at present, but you'll notice all other aspects of the game use the "#+" terminology. It's just a way of streamlining the mechanics.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

For your first question what is basically means is (even though you can't get any better a 6), if you actually roll a 6 & not a 1-5 that means your safe as for the + there i'm pretty sure that's how it always has been (hopefully it has), well ever since i've been playing it has & i've been playing since 2006 so 5 years lol (i think).

& for your second question Frost89 has already answered that, so in other words you could basically move 2" forward an inch to the right, 2" backwards then an inch the left, not that you'd want to do that in the first place but just as long as you don't go over 6" you can move any which way you like

Hope that helps a bit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

1: Like others have said, it's merely a streamlined formality

2: No you do not have to move in a straight line, make as many twist or turns as you like. Gosh I could only imagine the horror if we were forced to move in straight lines...

3: Welcome to Warhammer: 40,OOO I hope you enjoy it and have loads of good times.
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Just to clarify some terminology: A + followed by a number is the actual armor save of the model.To distinct in written language invulnerable saves(instead of writing invulnerable when we chat)some players use a ++ followed by the number.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone who replied, that info has been really helpful. Looking forward to applying a better understanding of the rules in a more complicated game next time :-)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x3)

It's a general thing to add the + And probably comes from older versions more as in 2nd edition mostly all weapons affected your saving roll in some ways. Terminators used to get a 3+... on 2D6!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

I think that the '+' description comes from the 'To Hit' and 'To Wound' charts and refers to a dice roll being 'equal to or more' than a particular cut off point.

Page 20 in the BRB simply gives the Ork armour save as '6'.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread